• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't believe Jamkazam's audio interface latency values
I don't know, and it's amazing to me how little discussion there is regarding latency on this forum, as I'd think that this would be the #1 issue that everyone faces. I'm not a tech wizard by any means, but I do know enough to recognize the general inhibiting factors, any or all of which can contribute to latency:

1) Latency in mixer/interface -- The time it takes for the mixer to convert an analog to digital signal and send it (FireWire/USB) to the computer; in theory, this should be minimal. You can certainly eliminate this by using the mic on your computer, but this obviously comes with a significant sacrifice in audio quality.
2) Latency in computer -- Dependent on both hardware and software; how quickly it's able to process the digital signal from the interface or internal mic.
3) Latency in internet connection -- This is probably the single biggest limiting factor due to the simple physics of sending a signal/data packet across physical distance. You might think that purchasing a higher speed internet connection would solve this, but "speed" is different than "latency"; someone recently gave me a great analogy that you might be able to go 180mph on the autobahn, but if the entrance or exit ramps are backed up, it will still delay your ultimate destination. Latency (or "ping rate") tells you how jammed up the ramps are. I'm not aware of any way to reduce internet latency, though I suspect that all of the increased general internet traffic during the pandemic is not helping things!

Keep in mind that all of the above latency points are ADDITIVE, and to multiply the problem, you're trying to sync with 2-3-4-5 other players who are 10-50-200-500 miles away dealing with the same delays. The fundamental question is, "How is ANYONE able to make this work with all of the above issues in play???". Anyone have a response/solution? Anyone? Bueller?

Messages In This Thread
RE: I don't believe Jamkazam's audio interface latency values - by smehalko@gmail.com - 04-11-2020, 03:12 PM