• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows updates and JK sessions
Ran into this yesterday for the first time. My JK laptop is only turned on a couple of times per week so I got surprised by a big Windows feature update which hosed my session. I didn't know, at first, what was happening but JK was very slow to open, then wouldn't create a session, then would drop a session with "disconnected from server." Latency with jam buddies was ten times normal.
You can't realistically turn these updates off and limiting the "hours" only limits restarts, not downloading and installing of updates.
I'm going to try proactively installing them on days I don't jam as well as tweaking settings to get them over with as quickly as possible.

Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface
(12-07-2020, 01:36 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: Ran into this yesterday for the first time. My JK laptop is only turned on a couple of times per week so I got surprised by a big Windows feature update which hosed my session. I didn't know, at first, what was happening but JK was very slow to open, then wouldn't create a session, then would drop a session with "disconnected from server." Latency with jam buddies was ten times normal.
You can't realistically turn these updates off and limiting the "hours" only limits restarts, not downloading and installing of updates.
I'm going to try proactively installing them on days I don't jam as well as tweaking settings to get them over with as quickly as possible.

>>>
Yes you can. Just disable automatic updates.
If you don't know how, google's your friend.

But ..., if that's smart that's up to you ... .
At least in the past you could disable the Windows update service or do some kind of registry hack....not sure if that's still the case. I really don't want to go that route because many of the updates are security related..
Mainly I didn't want it downloading or installing (much less rebooting) without telling me first .....and through the normal settings processes I don't see that that's a possibility so checking for updates the day before I Jam and having it set to download and install them as fast as possible is the best I'm going to be able to do
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface