• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High internet jitter and high internet latency
(11-07-2020, 08:02 AM)troublebass Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 10:12 PM)drummer1154 Wrote: Can you please enter on a win10 cmd line (for Mac/linux I do not know the command)
ping -l 1000 -n 50 <peer_IP-or-DDNS_addr>
for each peer and report the average RTT. Buffer size 1000 bytes is important, the default 32 bytes do not result in reproduceable results.
Are all peers on the same ISP?
Our 3-piece band located in Munich encountered unmanageable delay times, most likely because we are on 3 different ISPs (Telekom, VF/KabelDeutschland, SWM). I believe all packets need to be routed via Frankfurt.
Cheers
-hg
>>>
We will do that in our next test session. However, what will we do with the result? Which pameter can we change to improve the result? I understand that you are stuck as well, right

(11-06-2020, 02:18 AM)StuartR Wrote: While I cannot speak for the JK team, I'll hazard a guess that their new network acceleration network connectivity might be the culprit here. Here's what they told us at the end of September in their last email update:

"Latency Reduction & Connectivity Improvements
In our last email, we shared some data on the latency reduction and connectivity success rates we can see from our new networking technologies. We have been continuing to complete the implementation of this set of technologies. It’s pretty complex stuff, so it’s taking time. There is also a limit to how much we can test it ourselves without pu$ng it out onto the platform, so the transition period as we release and harden this technology is going to be a little bumpy - but worth it!"

>>>
That sounds similar to what Dimitri wrote. So, let's wait for a new version of JK?

Email from JamKazam: Does every registered JK user get such Emails automatically or did I miss a tickbox somewhere in JK or in the forum?

I got that message fine!

I got this message fine. Also trying to analyse problems when they occur, but as I've mentioned, apart from getting thrown out occasionally we seem to keep up 3-player practices regardless of adverse metrics and advice that we've left the session
(11-07-2020, 03:10 PM)troublebass Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 12:39 PM)StuartR Wrote: I spoke briefly with a member of the JK support team yesterday about this issue and they are aware of it and are planning to push out another client update this weekend to address it. Our band has agreed to participate in a test session with JK to verify the problem and potential solution. I'll provide an update as soon as we know more, hopefully by Sunday evening.

>>>
Thx. That sounds great. Looking forward to your update.

Status report after Nov 9th update:
Brief session with A -B - C went well. No more high jitter and audio disruptions from A to B, and good latency between B and C in both directions now. We all used Network Settings > Route > Prefer Lowest Latency Path. Good improvement!

Status report after Nov 14th update (not yet listed in the forum, JK Windows Version 1.0.3913):
1 hour session with A - B - D today. When we started we all used Network Settings > Route > Prefer Lowest Latency Path. With that Jitter and audio disruptions again from A to B. So everybody switched to Network Settings > Route > Prefer Peer-to-Peer-Path. With that jitter was ok from A to B, but all latencies went up. After some trial and error we ended up with A on Network Settings > Route > Prefer Peer-to-Peer-Path and B and D Network Settings > Route > Prefer Lowest Latency Path. Iternet latency between A and D had been approx. 100ms, total latency approx. 120ms with the JK version before Nov 9th, total latency was approx. 23ms today.  So, good improvement with lowering jitter and latency compared to the JK version before Nov9th. However, we had 2 disruptions during our session: after approx. 20 min B lost A and D, A and D still could hear B. This problem was mended automatically by the program after 1-2 min, without any action of the patrticipants. After another 20 min everbody lost everybody completely. We all had to leave the session, create a new one and rejoin again. Not acceptable if we want to use JK for reherarsals of our 5piece band.

Conclusion on the latest versions: Improvements with regards to jitter and latency, but still quite some room for improvement regarding stability. And, others have mentioned that already: We do need instructions, advice, explanations, whatsoever, from JK on all the options under Network settings > Route, i.e. use what settings if ...