• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamkazam is moving onto Paid Subscriptions. Donors and volunteers' thoughts?
(12-03-2020, 10:25 PM)waarhorse777 Wrote: This was totally expected.  Something like this for free wasn't going to last. Plus - with the expectation of support? Pay for it. Go Fund Me is a donation pledge not a reservation for future products.

Not necessarily expected, and quite possibly going to last.  I use Jamulus a lot instead of Jamkazam (it has a different architecture which works better with larger groups).  Jamulus is open source - that means people contribute their own time to develop the code and support users, at no cost to anyone.  Open source is a well trodden route for software development that has been going on for years.  It's used just about everywhere.  People then make money by adding value on top of the software - e.g. with better support or their own add-ons. 

The idea that applications must be paid for as commercial products is quite out of date.  In the case of Jamulus it was started by a Swiss developer who wanted to solve the problem for his own band mates.  Jamkazam was started by a USA start-up looking to make money.  In that context it's no surprise that the "owners" of JamKazam (no one "owns" Jamulus) want to cash-in on the increased interest that COVID has brought.  What I find a little objectional though is that they collect donations whilst offering no paid subscription in return.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jamkazam is moving onto Paid Subscriptions. Donors and volunteers' thoughts? - by Sharpie - 12-04-2020, 09:18 AM
Impact of audio stream quality rates? - by DaveK - 12-04-2020, 09:37 PM
JK moving to paid subscription - by Jonasg - 12-04-2020, 11:12 PM