• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't I select a MIDI interface?
Hi, I have had no luck at all assigning a MIDI interface, on multiple systems. Is there some setting I am missing somewhere? I am trying to connect an AKAI MPK Mini MK2, but the pull-down menu is grayed out. Ive tried this in multiple scenarios, plugged directly to USB, and also through the usb host port on my connect audio 4+ interface, which Jamkazam recognizes. Im trying to control a synth on a computer I am remote-logging into from home. Thanks in advance!
Hi Mathew,
The sentence, "Im trying to control a synth on a computer I am remote-logging into from home." is a bit confusing, perhaps you can clarify. What exactly do you mean by "remote-logging into" in the context of JamKazam? MIDI interfaces are selected when adding a MIDI track to your local JK computer, for control of soft synths on that same computer, such as VSTi's. For example, if I wish to be a drummer in JK (albeit, a very bad drummer...), I add a MIDI track to my JK setup, selecting the USB MIDI interface from my electric drumkit. Then I add a drum soft synth to that track, like Addictive Drums, whose audio outputs are now a track in JK, just like a vocal mic or guitar track. My electric drum kit simply triggers Addictive Drums. The MIDI capabilities of JK are limited to only the local MIDI devices on your local computer, and solely for the purpose of playing /triggering software instruments on the JK computer. If you have a LOCAL synth whose audio outputs are plugged into channels on your audio interface of your computer, simply create an audio track (mono or stereo) for this instrument, assigned to those channels. There is no remote control capability in JamKazam, strictly audio sharing ("jamming") with remote players playing their respective local instruments and sound sources - no MIDI data is transmitted. Hope this helps.
(08-12-2020, 01:51 PM)blandis Wrote: Hi Mathew,
The sentence, "Im trying to control a synth on a computer I am remote-logging into from home." is a bit confusing, perhaps you can clarify.  What exactly do you mean by "remote-logging into" in the context of JamKazam?  MIDI interfaces are selected when adding a MIDI track to your local JK computer, for control of soft synths on that same computer, such as VSTi's.  For example, if I wish to be a drummer in JK (albeit, a very bad drummer...), I add a MIDI track to my JK setup, selecting the USB MIDI interface from my electric drumkit.  Then I add a drum soft synth to that track, like Addictive Drums, whose audio outputs are now a track in JK, just like a vocal mic or guitar track.  My electric drum kit simply triggers Addictive Drums.  The MIDI capabilities of JK are limited to only the local MIDI devices on your local computer, and solely for the purpose of playing /triggering software instruments on the JK computer.  If you have a LOCAL synth whose audio outputs are plugged into channels on your audio interface of your computer, simply create an audio track (mono or stereo) for this instrument, assigned to those channels.  There is no remote control capability in JamKazam, strictly audio sharing ("jamming") with remote players playing their respective local instruments and sound sources - no MIDI data is transmitted.  Hope this helps.
Hi,
So the midi tracks are only for local VSTs? I was under the impression Jamkazam would all transmit midi over the internet, which is why I was asking. I notice now that my interface shows up once I scan for plugins. I have a studio at my university, where I have some analog midi gear, such as a Yamaha DCFX grand piano. I have been remotely-connecting through Google Chrome Remote desktop, activating Jamkazam, and then using a separate program called "Internet MIDI" by Timewarp technologies ,to transmit my MIDI control data from home to this piano. The piano is a dis clavier, so it physically plays when you send it MIDI. I have a microphone and webcam stationed on it. My problem is that since Jamkazam is so fast with the audio latency, Internet MIDI is now the bottleneck, at about 150-200ms delay on average. I was hoping Jamkazam's MIDI functionality would do this as well. Do you know if there are plans for this implementation in the future? It would be wonderful to allow for scenarios where home users can access analog gear or plugins on a remote system from home! I would really love to see MIDI clock or Ableton Link transmitted from one computer to another. In an Ableton scenario, two people could have their machines synced up via midi, with two or more instances of Ableton Live.
To the best of my knowledge there are no plans for the remote control capability you are suggesting. I think the Ableton live link-type of functionality is closer to what you are looking for. The DAW Reaper may have a similar functionality, either native to it, or developed by their user community.