• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too much me in the mix
(08-24-2020, 01:16 PM)GDJ Wrote: Filote, some of the older MOTU interfaces do not have a knob or switch on the Interface to control Direct Monitoring. With that said, you need to become familiar with CueMix, the GUI software that installed with the MOTU driver. TIP. In CueMix, if you MUTE the tracks that is the equivalent of turning off Direct Monitoring. When JK is running, the audio is passed directly to JK and you are NOT hearing direct monitoring. CueMix allows you to control DSP Dynamics, global reverb, EQ. Basically, it is the virtual mixer. Just make sure you trackes are Muted in CueMix. It's in the Applications folder.

Thanks VERY much for the info. General definitive tidbits are REALLY helpful, because they can't be found in any manuals (e.g., Muting tracks in CueMix turns off DM; When JK is running the audio is passed directly to JK and not DM). I appreciate it!

Since this adventure started, and my first post, I've been through CueMix and it's manual multiple multiple times. But it's not behaving as I would expect, or perhaps my expectations of JK are incorrect:

Inside JK during a Solo session, I can turn the fader of my keyboard down all the way in the "My Live Tracks" section - even check the Mute checkbox, but I'm still hearing the keyboard at same volume--nothing varies. It's supposed to turn down, if not turn all the way off, correct? You'd think this means DM is active. But in CueMix, I have EVERYTHING muted (For all 8 buses, each input is muted, and the main bus is muted as well).

I have confirmed during a test session with a friend that the Mute button does kill outgoing signal. Maybe solo sessions behave differently than sessions with others? I'm planning a test session with him later this week, but at the moment I can't imagine where the signal is coming from during solo sessions.

Thanks for any advice!

WHEW! Found the problem: 

Awhile back I had tried to use the program "Loopback" to send live audio into JK, but ran into problems so I bailed on the idea; but didn't realize the connections I made in Loopback were persistent, so that they were behaving like Direct Monitoring. Once the links in Loopback were deleted, JK is behaving as expected:

Session faders are adjusting the mix in my headphones. Woot!

Thanks for the help, all.
Filote

MOTU 896mk3 Audio Interface via Firewire 800
Mac Pro Mojave 10.14.5
2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core CPU's
128 GB RAM

Messages In This Thread
Too much me in the mix - by jdecrist@dejazzd.com - 08-11-2020, 08:12 PM
RE: Too much me in the mix - by GDJ - 08-12-2020, 12:01 AM
RE: Too much me in the mix - by Filote - 08-22-2020, 05:36 AM
RE: Too much me in the mix - by Filote - 08-22-2020, 08:52 PM
RE: Too much me in the mix - by Filote - 08-23-2020, 10:34 PM