• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help w Steinberg UR44C - fails tests etc..
Hans: given current U.S. Internet congestion and crossover between multiple carriers, I picked 500 miles as a good mental reference point, below which JK's performance should be acceptable, and if not, tuning and troubleshooting should be considered before abandoning. It also matches my personal experience, albeit limited. This is approximately the expectation shown in JK's "JamBlaster - Understanding Latency" video of 28ms for the distances of U.S. cities mentioned, the rough distances between those points is approx 500 miles. Note that the example was not "coast-to-coast", which would be in the 2,500- to 3,500 mile range. I think my personal psychological latency tolerance is under 25ms, but close enough to 28ms I suppose. In this range, the video claims that JamBlaster's low latency improvement contributed enough to reduce the overall latency from (an implied) intolerable 39ms to a tolerable 28ms.
For distances greater than 500 miles, I believe the Internet latency's contribution to overall end-to-end latency becomes much greater than the respective latencies from each person's gear (in other words, endpoint tuning is only effective on approx. 40% or less of the total latency); and maybe more importantly the jitter on that Internet link grows proportionately as well.
I think this is an important point for users to understand, to set expectations for themselves and their sessions. Certain factors and circumstances can actually yield better performance and experience than this (example: just 2 people further apart, no video, tuned interfaces and JK settings, and "quiet" household traffic, including my experiences with the UK) , which I would consider "really good days/nights", but realistic, practical limitations of expectation should be acknowledged. Related to this I think it is important that all users of open jams specify their location in their profile, including nearest city and country, in the interest of making those sessions successful. I guarantee someone jumping on your open jam from 4,000 miles away with a blaring guitar will destroy your session within seconds, because the system's technology cannot accommodate drastically different latencies amongst the participants.
In my typical long-winded fa$on (sorry about that....), hope this helps

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help w Steinberg UR44C - fails tests etc.. - by blandis - 08-06-2020, 02:53 PM