• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best audio interface?
Is there a best audio interface for Jamkazam? I have a Focurite 2-outlet one that I just bought but I am having latency issues with some users despite getting my own numbers in the green range consistently. I wonder if I would do better with a different product.
If you're getting acceptable local latency metrics with your Focusrite interface, a different one is unlikely to do much better. The audio interface has no effect on network latency. Some routers are better than others, but that only makes a difference if the bottleneck isn't elsewhere in the network.
Hello. Could you please give more details as to the latency problems you are experiencing. Also what computer are you connecting the audio interface to?
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
(07-29-2020, 12:14 PM)LVanarsdall Wrote: Hello. Could you please give more details as to the latency problems you are experiencing. Also what computer are you connecting the audio interface to?

All my numbers are in the green, usually well within the green, but some people I have tried to play with have said the latency is too much. I suppose distance is a factor--the last one was in Germany and I am in Oregon.
The total latency between Germany and Oregon is usually about 100 milliseconds.

Latency / delay demonstration:

Two metronome clicks start at the same time. One of the clicks is gradually delayed compared to the other.

At the end after approx. 27 seconds, the delay is about 110 milliseconds.

Then it is all repeated, but this time in stereo with the two clicks in each channel.

At about 3 seconds after the clicks start, the delay is about 10 milliseconds - after which a average human should be able to hear the delay.

> https://soundcloud.com/user851807875/pub...tly-better
Thanks. Sounds like there isn't much I can do.
(07-30-2020, 02:17 AM)Simon Fletcher Wrote: Thanks. Sounds like there isn't much I can do.
I use Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - I am getting 7.5ms latency local reported and ‘green lights’ out of JamKazam.  I get good results with no noticeable latency in local sessions.  I have not tried very long distance sessions.

I do keep seeing posts of very successful sessions between US and Europe - and sometimes into Asia ... but ‘poor latency’ is much more common and to be expected due to distance. .... these good sessions maybe down to the genre being played (slow solos passing one to the other might not notice).

There is also a new release out that might impact latency - too early to tell yet.