• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone using ASIO4ALL without an audio interface?
(07-19-2020, 02:59 PM)lcmac Wrote: Hi all,

I am trying to help a JK friend shave some ms off their audio gear latency. 

Here are some details about their current setup:

* on Windows
   * default WDM driver
   * they have no external audio interface
   * Framesize setting 10ms (I think this is the default for WDM)
   * Audio gear latency 20.0ms.

Does anyone have experience using the the ASIO4ALL driver without an external audio interface?  It would be especially helpful to hear from you.
Does it help at all to reduce latency?

Any tips suggestions for improving latency on Windows other than purchasing an audio interface?

Thank you
I used ASIO4ALL to connect an AKG Lyra USB mic. It works but is very finicky. It is very important to not run any other software that MIGHT use a microphone. For example, I had WebEx Teams running in the background and my mic would not work. I just posted the steps I have found to work, but I will post them here in case you find it helpful:

Download the latest version of ASIO4ALL

Before installing ASIO4ALL:

Remove “Exclusive mode”: Go to Control Panel/ Hardware and Sound/ Sound. Then, doubleclick on Speakers/ Advanced. In this box, uncheck exclusive mode. If you have several devices listed, you will need to do this for each of them. If ASIO4ALL detects that another device or application is using the microphone or speaker, it will not let you use it with JamKazam.

Disable Windows GS wavetable: Right click on Start and select Device Manager.
Click on View menu and click on Show hidden devices.Expand Software devices.
Right click on Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and select Disable device and click Yes to confirm the action. Reboot the computer. The GS wavetable shares the same port as ASIO4ALL and may conflict with it and prevent it from running correctly.

Before adding the device to JamKazam:

Stop running any other app using audio: Launch the windows task manager (ctrl + alt + delete), and look for apps that use audio or video which still are running in the background, including metro apps like for example "Video" or "Music". Select and terminate them. Best practice is to close all apps except JamKazam.
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone using ASIO4ALL without an audio interface? - by LVanarsdall - 07-20-2020, 11:54 AM