• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backing tracks used in sessions
Backing track licensing: When you create a session you agree to a music licensing agreement. I think it's ok to share charts that I may have obtained from Ultimate Guitar Tabs etc, but mp3s that were gathered from many different sources, adjusted for key etc could be a violation if somebody may ask you to provide proof of purchase.

JamTracks purchased in the app should be fine, I'm talking about the music collections many of us have.
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface
(07-17-2020, 12:31 AM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: Backing track licensing: When you create a session you agree to a music licensing agreement. I think it's ok to share charts that I may have obtained from Ultimate Guitar Tabs etc, but mp3s that were gathered from many different sources, adjusted for key etc could be a violation if somebody may ask you to provide proof of purchase.

JamTracks purchased in the app should be fine, I'm talking about the music collections many of us have.
I agree - watch out for the licensing conditions for pre-recorded backing tracks.  There is usually a statement somewhere (possibly with the lead sheets that came with it) .... and generally, they can be used for private use or educational use .... but NOT BROADCAST.

Same sort of care required if sharing PDF lead sheets - who owns that copyright?

It would be useful to have a clear statement regarding use of JamTracks too .... what exactly can they be used for?
Here is something about the case:

Terms of Service
https://www.jamkazam.com/corp/terms

Extract:

"Purchasing JamTracks

The Platform may allow you to purchase multi-track recordings (“JamTracks”) . JamTracks are licensed and not sold to you. You may only use JamTracks for your own personal, non-commercial use and not for any other purpose. Except as permitted by applicable law, you may not reproduce (except on computer equipment or personal digital devices (e.g., phones, tablets, MP3 players, etc.) owned or controlled by you), or distribute any JamTracks obtained from or through the Platform without JamKazam’s or the applicable copyright owner’s express permission. JamTracks that are streamed to you are also licensed to you solely for personal, non-commercial use."
I have no plans to broadcast sessions I start. I might record one for educational purposes. Some people I follow on YouTube who broadcast regular music-related videos have run into licensing issues ---- for example if they use a backing track to demonstrate a guitar solo. They get a "strike" which forces them to take down the video, and could lose their ability to post anything on youtube if not corrected.
I doubt we're in that same world with JK sessions.
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface
Agreed - based on my proficiency level and the quality I currently get .... having to consider copyright & living might be a ‘nice problem to have’ :-). ..... but still worth being aware of. Thanks Hans-Peter for the details on the terms - useful to know it’s ‘Non Commercial’ .... so we would need to be careful to not upload a ‘how to video’ to youtube or similar.

I think that those who do broadcast actually play the whole thing live anyway - no backing tracks and therefore it is all their material.

I know that if you improvise a known tune from the chords - that again is ‘your work’ .... but dont note copy a transcription of someone else