• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems getting both DAW and live instruments set up
I am a keyboardist trying to connect with my vocalist for rehearsals and songwriting via JamKazam. 

My setup is:

Macbook Pro with High Sierra OS
Cubase Elements 10.5
Presonus Audiobox iTwo usb preamp
QSC Touchmix 16 mixer with various keyboards and wireless mic input

Her setup is:

Macbook Pro (not sure the OS)
Soundcraft 12MTK mixer with integrated USB-pre
Various mics input

I am trying to get both tracks on my DAW and my live keyboards and mic to transmit through JamKazam and, after reading an article about using a DAW with JamKazam, I set up my DAW I/O using USB-Pre as input and Blackhole as output, according to this article, and then set up the input on JamKazam to be Blackhole. The problem is that when I switched to that setup, she could then hear the DAW tracks just fine, but then I lost her ability to hear my live instruments. When I switched to my other JamKazan Input setup using my Usb-Pre as the input, it was the opposite - Live inputs yes, DAW no. So how do I get both? I did do the Aggregate input creation on the MBP's Audio-MIDI setup for both My USB Pre and Blackhole, but couldn't seem to select that Aggregate in JamKazam to get both feeding into it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
(07-03-2020, 01:26 AM)SHAcoustic67 Wrote: I am a keyboardist trying to connect with my vocalist for rehearsals and songwriting via JamKazam. 

My setup is:

Macbook Pro with High Sierra OS
Cubase Elements 10.5
Presonus Audiobox iTwo usb preamp
QSC Touchmix 16 mixer with various keyboards and wireless mic input

Her setup is:

Macbook Pro (not sure the OS)
Soundcraft 12MTK mixer with integrated USB-pre
Various mics input

I am trying to get both tracks on my DAW and my live keyboards and mic to transmit through JamKazam and, after reading an article about using a DAW with JamKazam, I set up my DAW I/O using USB-Pre as input and Blackhole as output, according to this article, and then set up the input on JamKazam to be Blackhole. The problem is that when I switched to that setup, she could then hear the DAW tracks just fine, but then I lost her ability to hear my live instruments. When I switched to my other JamKazan Input setup using my Usb-Pre as the input, it was the opposite - Live inputs yes, DAW no. So how do I get both? I did do the Aggregate input creation on the MBP's Audio-MIDI setup for both My USB Pre and Blackhole, but couldn't seem to select that Aggregate in JamKazam to get both feeding into it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Can anyone help me with this? Did I post this in the wrong Forum section?
I apologize in that I can only respond in theory. My question is, where are your live instruments configured? I would have to assume they also should be running through your DAW. In fact, everything would need to be routed through the DAW since JK will only allow you to use one Audio Device per session, at a time. In the DAW for your live instruments I suspect you could use Aux tracks, unless you are recording. I have not gotten around to configuring the DAW yet for myself, but I suspect BlackHole mixes everything down to 2 channel inputs? unless it can map to more inputs?
My method.

I use a Roland OctaCapture
Mainstage 
Soundflower 

Should work with any interface or daw. There are a couple other options that do the same as Soundflower.

I set up 2 Aggregate devices in Audio/Midi setup.
1 OctaCapture input / Soundflower 2ch output.
2 Soundflower 2Ch input / Built In output (This could have gone back to the interface but I chose to use the Mac audio out)

Mainstage uses Aggregate 1. Input interface. Output Soundflower virtual.
JamKazam (or actually any other app Jamulus, Jamtaba etc) uses Aggregate 2. Soundflower is the input. Mac Built in is output.

Make sure all your sample rates are the same and you may have to experiment with the clock drift to see what works best.

My mic, guitar and midi goes into Daw. Daw has tracks does all the fx and input processing sends stereo out to Soundflower. (this is a virtual device)
JamKazam takes a Soundflower stereo input and puts out a stereo out to monitor.

Good luck. It is a most convenient way to set it up.