• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to play backing tracks
(06-19-2020, 07:18 AM)Chris Frost Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 10:19 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: By Pressing the record button in the row of buttons across the top of an actual session
Try clicking on ‘from an audio file’ in the “recorded Audio’ section of that screen ..... it supplies a dialog that allows you to upload a wav file.

Further to the above list from Hans Peter,  there are advantages and disadvantages to all - you need to pick the compromise that best suits you.

1.  Plugging in a player to separate tracks - basically means that you need a 4 channel Audio I/F .... 1 for your instrument, 1 for voice / chat and 2 for the backing track - set for left & right panned stereo.  This has advantage that you can alter the track (depending on your player / kit) ... including slow down / change key, etc ... or loop around particular sections.  ... also, the backing track gets included in the recording.  Disadvantage is that the 'other jammers' cant disconnect the levels for the backing track from whatever you are playing.

2, 3 & 4 are similar

They ALL use the 'Recorded Audio' section in the 'session window' ... 'Recorded' would be a JK session that you already recorded,  'Audio File' allows you to upload a single .wav file to play and 'Jam Track' allows you to purchase a track from JK.  You CAN record your session ... as long as you START the recording before starting the playback of the track. 

The advantage is that each jammer can adjust the level that they hear separate to the level of the instruments (recorded Audio is a separate track to each jammer).  The disadvantage is that the backing will not be in any 'recording' made in JK and you cant change the tempo, etc (without using a different file).

I only have a 2 channel Audio i/f - so have been using the 'Recorded Audio - Audio File' method very successfully. ... but can see some possibilities for the other approach

Thanks for all of that.  I can create WAV files at the key desired.   Slowing tempo is also possible but rarely a need here.  I'll have to see what buying jamtracks is all about.   Recording a session is low priority for now.

When we're first learning a song, playing along to a WAV of the original is ok, but eventually I'd rather have a backing/karaoke type file including specific instruments.  I know you can buy those and there are some free sites.  I could even look into things like Drum plugins for a DAW to create my own, but that would be pretty time-consuming.

The ability for others on the session to have some control over the backing track volume is key.
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best way to play backing tracks - by carvinae185@gmail.com - 06-19-2020, 11:25 AM
RE: Best way to play backing tracks - by GDJ - 06-19-2020, 01:51 PM
RE: Best way to play backing tracks - by GDJ - 06-19-2020, 07:57 PM