• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crackle break up from Focusrite solo
hi all.
yes!  I've searched but haven't found an answer.  
using Focusrite solo (1st gen).  jamkazam partners sounds clear and they can hear me clearly but I hear intermittent breaking up / crackling (of my instrument only) on my end.  it's not normal distortion and I see no clipping or anything red on my end.  I've lowered / raised my frame size to all values but it's still there. 

thoughts?
(06-14-2020, 07:14 PM)blakelock Wrote: hi all.
yes!  I've searched but haven't found an answer.  
using Focusrite solo (1st gen).  jamkazam partners sounds clear and they can hear me clearly but I hear intermittent breaking up / crackling (of my instrument only) on my end.  it's not normal distortion and I see no clipping or anything red on my end.  I've lowered / raised my frame size to all values but it's still there. 

thoughts?
>>>
Could be computer related. Even a high-spec'd machine needs some 'tuning'.
In case of a laptop, are you hooked up to the mains? Did you create a 'high power scheme'?

On the interwebs there are several directives for optimizing your machine for use in audio production (google)
we'll, how about that?!? I followed your advice, googled "optimize Mac air laptop for sound", and found a presonus website. the only suggestion I was able to successfully implement was to "reset the PRAM and NVRAM". you do this by restarting while holding a key combination....after the reboot, the clicks appear to be gone!!
...but...tried again the next day, and the pops were back.
I also have very low volume (on my end) through jamkazam. PArtners say i sound fine, but i have to max my laptop and computer speaker volume to hear my bass.
For what it's worth. I get the crackle sometimes.. and it's mostly due to my having my audio booster settings setting really low. 128 kbs, and 1ms frame rate. It's a trade off for me, with my music partners. It goes away when I increase to 256, 2ms

But also, I notice regardless of the booster settings I notice JK is easily affected by background processing. For instance, If I were to open the browser and scroll around, i would hear crackle noises. To minimize this, I created an OS Sierra SSD Boot drive and the only 3rd party app is JK and the audio interface driver. No apps calling home, and way less background activity going on. I ggreatly minimized the noise, but sadly due to my older 2012 Retina Macbook, scrolling in the browser generates some noise in JK. My music buddy has a new desktop Mac and does not have this issue.