• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DDOS attack by user?
Every time a user who i don't know joins a session username "KennyO" JamKazam freezes and crashes. They keep joining lots of sessions and leaving. Hopefully, this is just a bug and coincidence and not that someone is being malicious by purpose?

Can you block a user from connecting to you if you are not the host of a room?
Search can be your friend.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=790&highlight=Block
(06-03-2020, 10:02 PM)guitarman149 Wrote: Every time a user who i don't know joins a session username "KennyO" JamKazam freezes and crashes. They keep joining lots of sessions and leaving. Hopefully, this is just a bug and coincidence and not that someone is being malicious by purpose?

It was not malicious. I do not know why that was happening today. Everything worked perfectly in a private session. I always test in a private session to make sure I am connected ok before joining open sessions. 

I was connected in sessions with other musicians earlier in the day. I have connected in sessions for months and everything worked fine.

I noticed this afternoon that when I joined open sessions that some (not all) other participants  showed 100% packet loss and looked like their sessions hung. I dropped out immediately. I tried coming back in a few times. I tried a few other sessions.

I have no explanation why that happened. But it was definitely not malicious.
It's probably an unfortunate coincidence, I think. As KennyO writes

Only the host of a room (or rightly the so-called "mix controller") can block a person.

However, a person cannot be blocked until he or she is in session.
(06-04-2020, 04:16 AM)KennyO Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 10:02 PM)guitarman149 Wrote: Every time a user who i don't know joins a session username "KennyO" JamKazam freezes and crashes. They keep joining lots of sessions and leaving. Hopefully, this is just a bug and coincidence and not that someone is being malicious by purpose?

It was not malicious. I do not know why that was happening today. Everything worked perfectly in a private session. I always test in a private session to make sure I am connected ok before joining open sessions. 

I was connected in sessions with other musicians earlier in the day. I have connected in sessions for months and everything worked fine.

I noticed this afternoon that when I joined open sessions that some (not all) other participants  showed 100% packet loss and looked like their sessions hung. I dropped out immediately. I tried coming back in a few times. I tried a few other sessions.

>>>
Good man!
Thanks for reporting back!

Hope you get it figured out.
D./
Hi KennyO. Sorry, didn't mean to suggest it was malicious.

What you explain sounds intermittent. Are you Mac or Win?

I too, on occasion when hosting a session notice a hang can happen when about 5 or more people get in the session. I know there are other posts saying the same thing.
I also start a private session first to make sure my gear is working.

GDJ
Hey KennyO, Apologies for singling you out, however, I'm very glad it is just a bug as it happened in 3 different rooms when you joined and some of them only had 2 people in at the time. I wonder if it's an issue outside of Jamkazam's hands if your connection has been fine before yesterday.
(06-04-2020, 04:16 AM)KennyO Wrote:

I have had this same thing happen to me on a few occasions. Yesterday I was in a session with about 4 people that was going smoothly, then others started joining/leaving, and my client crashed.

I don't see how it would be possible for a user to cause this to happen; I think it's a software issue that remains to be solved.

In the future, I'll use RSVP sessions to limit the number of participants (unless I want to roll the dice with an open session).
A crappy internet connection can easily crash a whole session.
I personally think there needs to at least be either:
- Network test of individuals, particularly new folks
- "Your latency" reporting: I think this has been completely abandoned, as I have not seen a latency report in months
- Mandatory location info in peoples' profiles, so folks can figure out if that guy from half way around the globe with a crappy Internet connection who just popped into the session (with his guitar cranked) is why everything has gone to hell. I think less than 10% of folks are filling in their location info, or they fill info that doesn't mean anything to those outside of their country, other than they are not in my country...

All of these are to help set YOUR expectations for JamKazam and its performance, not to invade on anyone's privacy. You don't need to be a network architect, cyber sleuth, or speed-of-light physicist, but I know that from my location in the Philadelphia, PA, USA region of the globe I can expect reasonable performance with others on the East coast USA, and maybe to middle of the country or Eastern Canada; but anything West coast or UK is probably a stretch, especially if there's wildly varying total latency between players. I wont join an open session that is outside of those bounds, mainly out of courtesy to the host (because my latency adversely affects all others in the session), and to avoid my own frustrations with the session. I think more folks should follow this approach, and I think JamKazam would be more enjoyable for all.
[end rant]