• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IPv6? 100% packet loss out, received audio cutting in and out
I've seen others mention that IPv6 should be disabled in Manage->Networking->IP Protocol.  Is that the case?  

Last week our jazz guitar quartet had everything working fine, after both a gateway/router and computer reboot on my side.  In fact the latency was barely noticeable.

This week (last night), the other three were frequently seeing 100% packet loss from me, and I was hearing their audio cut in and out, mostly out.  I was also sometimes getting UDP blocked messages, which I had never seen before in prior weeks, and nothing had changed on my end, other than the two JKZ app updates in the past week.

Tried rebooting computer (MacBook Pro) and power-cycling my gateway/router.

I added UDP port forwarding on 12000-12010 to my gateway/router (AT&T Pace 5268AC) and enabled "Always use the same set of UDP ports" in JKZ.  Still the same, audio cutting in and out and the other guys seeing 100% packet loss from me.  

My Ethernet connection is via a switch, which then has a long run to the gateway/router (via in-wall wiring).  Tried switching to WiFi as a test.  Audio started working, though latency too long to be useable.  The WiFi router is connected to the same Ethernet switch as my computer.  Nothing making any sense.

I wondered if perhaps there was something else on my network causing UDP packets to be dropped.  I found this tool, https://iperf.fr, for running UDP speed tests.  Ran a bunch of different UDP tests to a public iPerf3 server in NorCal (I'm in SoCal), perfect, no dropped packets and easily handled 6 parallel 1Mbps streams in either direction.

The only other thing I can think of is the comments regarding iPv6 vs IPv4.  What difference does that make?
(05-07-2020, 07:13 PM)kvstrong Wrote: I've seen others mention that IPv6 should be disabled in Manage->Networking->IP Protocol.  Is that the case?  

Last week our jazz guitar quartet had everything working fine, after both a gateway/router and computer reboot on my side.  In fact the latency was barely noticeable.

This week (last night), the other three were frequently seeing 100% packet loss from me, and I was hearing their audio cut in and out, mostly out.  I was also sometimes getting UDP blocked messages, which I had never seen before in prior weeks, and nothing had changed on my end, other than the two JKZ app updates in the past week.

Tried rebooting computer (MacBook Pro) and power-cycling my gateway/router.

I added UDP port forwarding on 12000-12010 to my gateway/router (AT&T Pace 5268AC) and enabled "Always use the same set of UDP ports" in JKZ.  Still the same, audio cutting in and out and the other guys seeing 100% packet loss from me.  

My Ethernet connection is via a switch, which then has a long run to the gateway/router (via in-wall wiring).  Tried switching to WiFi as a test.  Audio started working, though latency too long to be useable.  The WiFi router is connected to the same Ethernet switch as my computer.  Nothing making any sense.

I wondered if perhaps there was something else on my network causing UDP packets to be dropped.  I found this tool, https://iperf.fr, for running UDP speed tests.  Ran a bunch of different UDP tests to a public iPerf3 server in NorCal (I'm in SoCal), perfect, no dropped packets and easily handled 6 parallel 1Mbps streams in either direction.

The only other thing I can think of is the comments regarding iPv6 vs IPv4.  What difference does that make?

>>>
With IPv6 enabled, chances are that your computer has a second IP-address.
Upon start JKZ will also capture that second IP-address and bind the same UDP-ports to that address.
I/O will 'get confused'. Just disable IPv6 - at least when working with JKZ. (hardly anything communicates solely on that level yet anyway)
Thanks very much Dimitri, that explains things.  Tried a one-on-one session with my teacher yesterday, with IPV6 disabled on both sides and it worked fine. 

I found another part of my problem was when I had both Ethernet and WiFi enabled on my computer (I usually keep WiFi on for easy unlocking with my Apple Watch).  Seems that was also confusing JKZ and may have been the cause of it sometimes to say UDP was blocked.  So now I know to turn WiFi off when using JKZ.