• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unacceptable Latency solutions please
I agree with StuartR about the time of day factor. Too bad our local news doesn’t provide Internet Traffic reports.

We are in 2020 and all of us at a minimum should have enough hardware and internet speed by now, to have an ideal experience. But, given that many household devices are internet based along with different routers, and our neighbors on the same ISP are deciding to Stream at the same time, translates into internet latency.

Contrary to the idea that distance between two players/peers should not matter. Not true, it does.  Regardless of the so called “science” of it, it really comes down to your own relative experience. Having been playing now regularly since March let me share my experience.

I regularly get together with other players that are local to me within a 60 mi range and are on different ISPs. They are always Yellow. That’s not bad! Otherwise people out of state or in other areas of my state are Red (California, a big state). This is the case 100 percent of the time. It is what it is, regardless of what the facts say it should be. Anyone who argues this is because they are having a better experience, and are lucky. Everything is lined up for them, just right

Lindsay, my main playing partner is 2 miles down the road from me and we are on the same ISP. Here’s what we make sure for our individual session.

In Audio Booster, we both have 128 kbits, and 1ms experimental selected. We are both Yellow to each other. And, some sessions start out pretty good. We have a couple of best practices tips we adhere to.
  • 1. Resync before each song.
  • 2. After 20 to 30  minutes, restart the App. Otherwise, we have noticed the longer we try and get mileage out of the initial session, it gets worse.
  • 3. Playing rules. One person should be responsible for sticking to the tempo. Otherwise, you start trying to play to the other persons timing and before you know it, you’re both getting slower and slower. Sigh. But when you have lower latency it’s not as much as a struggle.
  • 4. Our experience is, slow/moderate songs work better
  • 5. the more players in the session, the worse it gets. I suspect this is also because everyone may has their own Audio Booster settings

Back to what Staurt mentioned, picking a good time to play.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unacceptable Latency solutions please - by GDJ - 05-25-2020, 03:43 PM