• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubleshooting: isolating latency issues
(05-20-2020, 08:04 PM)Cavery1962 Wrote: Hi,
     I have been trying to use JamKazam to play with one other musician but the latency issues make it virtually unworkable.  He is using an electronic drum kit with a plug in on a mac and I am using a guitar and Mic through a Presonus Audiobox iTwo on a windows laptop.  We are both using WIFi but very close to the router.  When we try and play we can almost manage to play in time on slower songs but even then there is a noticeable variation in tempo and the faster the tempo the more unworkable it becomes.  When we connect we both have a green light on the latency indicator on our own connection but the Other person is showing as red. I have followed all the advice regarding improving performance at my end (apart from using wired connection as that is not available) as has he.  So my question is how do we identify what part of the connection is causing the problem.  When I worked in IT there was an ITIL process called the Technical Observation Post which was a way of tracing a fault by observing each element to isolate the problem, but I don’t know enough about Jamkazam and latency to do this.  
Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Chris Avery

Hey Chris, we are assuming you and your "other" musician  are in different locations. But you have me wondering, are you saying you are actually under the same roof connecting through the same router? If so, you should check out my post called Jamkazam Over LAN. I'm still in the process of testing.

However, if you are in different locations, I agree and think your past IT experience is making you over think this a bit. The law of physics are at work regardless how close your pcs are to the router. And repeaters, not only repeat signal but noise. There is nothing like a wired connection and JK and all other online jamming apps stress the importance of it. Since you say wired is not possible, it makes me assume too you have old equipment? Which is odd because before WiFi.. Routers had CAT 5 ports. So maybe you want to explain your setup more clearly. I can tell you when i connect, i'm actually connecting directly to my modem. Bypassing the router entirely. I have a separate post about this too. I have to suspect whatever modem you are using it MUST have one Ethernet port you can use for jamming. After you are done, just plug your router back in. My experience has been better since I'm not dealing with router issues, port forwarding, or network traffic.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Troubleshooting: isolating latency issues - by GDJ - 05-22-2020, 12:44 AM