• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collection, concentration - to be deleted
Hans, thank you for your post.

I'm not sure if this is the place for these questions but I am going to take a chance and ask them here. Please forgive me if this is inappropriate in any way and, if so, I ask your suggestions on how to proceed. I am new here but have done some searching and reading in the forum and am just trying to understand a little better for the purpose of establi$ng JamKazam sessions that work well.

First, just to have a layman's understanding of P2P and how it works with JK, is it accurate to say JK works thus:

(Download and install JK software (client). Sign up and sign on. Configure.)

• Now, when looking at the JK home screen, you're communicating with their servers, in Texas, I believe.
• Then, say, in a basic example, you do a "find session" and join a session with just one JK user.
• The JK servers facilitate the establishment of the session and then drop out. You're now in a one-on-one P2P session with that other JK user. The JK client software on each computer "guide" the session.
• When you leave the session the JK client knows how to re-establish your connection to the JK servers in Texas and you're back looking at their home page.

Does this sound generally right? If so, then any tweaking done to the gear/settings on both ends of this two-peer session, once it's active, does not involve JK in Texas? Just curious.

On your post it looks like in the future you may be fle$ng out some of these topics: latency, screen sharing/video, network/router/wireless. I'll be interested to read that. Some questions, in no particular order: (sorry)

• Why is it important to have an external audio interface? And is it crucial they use the ASIO drivers?
• Does video soak up enough bandwidth to degrade sound performance? And if so, should it be discontinued if there are performance problems?
• I've read the setting for frame size should be as small as possible, 1 or 2.5, and the "maximum outgoing music bitrate" should be 128 kbit/sec, but when I set it there I get excessive crackling. Sometimes even higher numbers get some crackling. Yet, in some sessions, the sound is crystal clear, regardless of those settings!
• When I change frame size when in a session, am I changing the ASIO buffer size my audio interface is using? Maybe a dumb question.

I have more questions, and I'll try to organize them a little better, but I'll stop here. Again, thank you for all the insight you can provide to help make using JamKazam a fun experience.

My config: PreSonus Studio68c / Windows 10 / Dell XPS I7 4 quad. Just installed the latest JK update 1.0.3698

Doug

Messages In This Thread
RE: Collection, concentration - to be deleted - by Doug N. - 04-26-2020, 07:02 PM