• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can I do about very poor latency?
Hi Joe,
I'm not sure the above posts directly answered your questions, but did point you to sources for answers. Given your comment of limited tech skills, I will provide my 2 cents on the most important item I read.
Audio interface: yes, a new audio interface will dramatically improve your experience, mostly through its reduction in experienced time delays, aka, latency. The main reason is that separate dedicated audio interfaces come with drivers that let you control settings to specifically control the latency as well as other parameters. Internal sound cards in PCs do not typically provide configurable control panels to adjust their settings (such as the most important one, buffer size, sometime referred to as buffer samples). Their electronics are optimized for low latency recording and playback, and they almost always are of better sound quality too. You don't need to spend a ton of money here; take a look at the list of audio interfaces here in the forum, and consider buying one that meets your needs online (Amazon, etc), in terms of number of audio channels. There are other buying guides and ranking info readily available on the Internet, but I do recommend picking one that the forum list confirms as verified working with JamKazam.
In the meantime, there is a somewhat universal free "audio driver wrapper" known as ASIO4ALL. This driver provides a layer between the Window's regular WDM driver (which is typically a driver provided by the PC manufacturer or the sound card/module maker, such as Realtek) and your audio application, which in this case is the JamKazam app. What ASIO4ALL does is essentially override or bypass standard Windows audio performance settings and connects directly to the low-level drivers of most commercial sound chipsets, providing user-configurable settings like buffer size and sample rate, and performance closer to what can be expected from a dedicated audio interface and its driver. In fact, even some lower-priced dedicated interfaces (example: Behringer UM2) only come with ASIO4ALL and no custom driver (although there are older dedicated ASIO drivers for the UM2 that work a little better than ASIO4ALL). You can search the forum for ASIO4ALL help and opinions.
Hope this helps a little

Messages In This Thread
RE: What can I do about very poor latency? - by blandis - 04-22-2020, 07:57 PM