• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Internet Speed Do I Need?
Hi LeeBert,
Yeah, the test servers have been crushed due to so many new users.  Network Test cycles through testing each member's Internet speed, simulating the addition of other players from 2 to 8 (I think...) in a audio-only session (no video), and then again simulating the players with video webcams, and that usually tops out at around 5 simulated players.  For reference, my experience with Xfinity broadband (approx. 200-300Mbps down, 8-15Mbps Up) has been up to 8 players audio-only, and up to 5 with video.
1.  From the Systems Requirements page (https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=114), the Internet speed is:
"Broadband Internet service with 1Mbps uplink bandwidth for real-time online sessions".  Although not specified, you can assume that at least the same is needed for downlink as well, although I think much faster downlinks are important.  I suggest you run an Internet Speed Test, some providers offer a link.  By the way, I just ran one from Xfintity's test page, and although my speeds were as indicated above, the reported latency was 17ms.  I think that's horrible, especially if other players are on other Internet provider's networks, (Verizon FIOS, etc).  Obviously this is out of our control.
2.  I don't know if the sessions are peer-to-peer, and I've never read it anywhere, but I would think the sessions themselves would have to be, because I don't believe they have a distributed network of servers thruout the country/world due to cost, and I think the latency would deteriorate significantly over distance from their location (Austin, TX, I believe).
Hope this helps

Just saw Dmitri's post.  I concur

Messages In This Thread
What Internet Speed Do I Need? - by LeeBert - 04-17-2020, 01:45 PM
RE: What Internet Speed Do I Need? - by LeeBert - 04-17-2020, 06:11 PM
RE: What Internet Speed Do I Need? - by blandis - 04-17-2020, 03:38 PM
RE: What Internet Speed Do I Need? - by Tim.brose - 05-09-2020, 09:22 PM
RE: What Internet Speed Do I Need? - by Tim.brose - 05-09-2020, 10:35 PM