• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High jitter with new release
I've been using JK regularly for over 4 years, always with the same equipment that I have now. It took a lot of fidgeting and experimenting with settings to arrive at a good configuration of the app and my audio interface driver but once I got it (4.3ms audio interface latency, jitter saw-toothing between 0 and 0.53ms) it's all been fine for years. I never installed the long-term beta release but just stayed on the prior release.

Fast-forward to yesterday, when I was forced to install the new update: 

First off, my audio settings were gone. Not a big deal, I went through the "add audio gear" screens.

When I started a private session to test it, I was getting all kinds of jitter - hovering over my 'dot' showed high jitter numbers and I heard a lot of crackling. Adjusting the frame size larger did nothing but add more latency. I doubled and triple checked all my driver settings, and even tried different buffer sizes, sample rates, etc. Same thing.

During one of my testing iterations I noticed something: when my session first started, in the first few moments where you can hear yourself but before your "input" and "output" mixes appear, all sounded fine. As soon as the UI filled in that information with the audio bar graphs the jitter went crazy. Then I noticed when I moved my mouse past any clickable element on the JK UI I also got a crackle. Ahh, something to do with the graphics maybe. I then minimized the app and my sound returned to normal. When I brought it to the forefront again, the issue returned.

I joined a session with some people I know and they verified that when my UI was active that my sound was garbled and my jitter was off the charts, but when I minimized the app then things were normal. They did notice that my CPU usage was high. Checking in Windows task manager I saw that my CPU was around 61%, almost all of that coming from the JK app.

Then a bell went off: years ago, the prevailing advice was to set the JK process priority to "High" in task manager. I checked and it was still set that way. Changing it to "Normal" lowered my CPU usage to around 40% (still all JK) but my jitter and sound problems went away.

So it appears that the JK UI update is very processor intensive and can weigh down an older machine (I have a Gen 3 Core i5, SSD, 8GB RAM, Windows 10). If you are having similar issues (I know of another Jammer with this jitter issue since update) then you might try the same thing: check your process priority and try a lower priority to see if it corrects your problems  (https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-...indows-10/). I doubt JK will look into this (JK's high CPU utilization) so we're on our own here. Maybe my resolution will help you find yours.

I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
High jitter with new release - by SammerJammer - 09-23-2024, 02:33 PM
RE: High jitter with new release - by stewbow - 09-23-2024, 08:31 PM