• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Internet Speed Do I Need?
The "Test Server" function hasn't worked for me. Last night we tried our first test session with 3 users but way too much latency for it to be workable.

1 - What Internet speed (up and down) is recommended for this to work with a 4 or 5 piece band?

2 - Does anybody know if this is setup only as a peer to peer network, or do these sessions interact with the JamKazam server? (Which would then be outside of our control to trouble shoot and fix.)

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

LeeBert
The actual sessions are p2p.

The app/program 'phones home' to enable the service to work. Your audio/video doesn't touch the US jkz servers.

Your internet connection needs to be solid, also the upload stream, but nothing crazy. 25/25 should work when you're not sharing bandwidth with a household chatting/gaming/videoconferencing at the same time.

Testserver unavailable is a known issue. Don't loose sleep over it.

Getting your gear latency down (drivers!) and having a 'clean' network and internet hookup is paramount. Where low jitter is more important than high speed.
Hi LeeBert,
Yeah, the test servers have been crushed due to so many new users.  Network Test cycles through testing each member's Internet speed, simulating the addition of other players from 2 to 8 (I think...) in a audio-only session (no video), and then again simulating the players with video webcams, and that usually tops out at around 5 simulated players.  For reference, my experience with Xfinity broadband (approx. 200-300Mbps down, 8-15Mbps Up) has been up to 8 players audio-only, and up to 5 with video.
1.  From the Systems Requirements page (https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=114), the Internet speed is:
"Broadband Internet service with 1Mbps uplink bandwidth for real-time online sessions".  Although not specified, you can assume that at least the same is needed for downlink as well, although I think much faster downlinks are important.  I suggest you run an Internet Speed Test, some providers offer a link.  By the way, I just ran one from Xfintity's test page, and although my speeds were as indicated above, the reported latency was 17ms.  I think that's horrible, especially if other players are on other Internet provider's networks, (Verizon FIOS, etc).  Obviously this is out of our control.
2.  I don't know if the sessions are peer-to-peer, and I've never read it anywhere, but I would think the sessions themselves would have to be, because I don't believe they have a distributed network of servers thruout the country/world due to cost, and I think the latency would deteriorate significantly over distance from their location (Austin, TX, I believe).
Hope this helps

Just saw Dmitri's post.  I concur
In sessions each people is uploading about 0.4 Mbps audio data to each other person.

With 8 people in session the total will then be 2.8 Mbps

But one need in reality 25 Mbps!?

Then there's something that doesn't match the math.

In one way or another.

But the 25 may have included video. Which can be anything from 0.2 to 2 Mbps per person.

That could solve the math, partly - 2.8 + 14 = 16.8

Who knows?
(04-17-2020, 02:55 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: The actual sessions are p2p.

The app/program 'phones home' to enable the service to work. Your audio/video doesn't touch the US jkz servers.

Your internet connection needs to be solid, also the upload stream, but nothing crazy. 25/25 should work when you're not sharing bandwidth with a household chatting/gaming/videoconferencing at the same time.

Getting your gear latency down (drivers!) and having a 'clean' network and internet hookup is paramount. Where low jitter is more important than high speed.

This is what I had assumed / hoped about how p2p was setup. That's good news.

I have 110 speeds down but only 11 up right now with my service provider. Is your feeling that 11 up is a problem? I do face some challenges in cutting off the rest of my household from the network (home office and college kids home while school is out).

My computer latency is in decent shape but I'll continue to try to tweak it to get better performance.
(04-17-2020, 06:11 PM)LeeBert Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 02:55 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: The actual sessions are p2p.

This is what I had assumed / hoped about how p2p was setup. That's good news.

I have 110 speeds down but only 11 up right now with my service provider. Is your feeling that 11 up is a problem? I do face some challenges in cutting off the rest of my household from the network (home office and college kids home while school is out).

My computer latency is in decent shape but I'll continue to try to tweak it to get better performance.

>>>
Not a problem as such.
You will be able to tell when 'the household' is asking 'to much' and causing 'noise' on your connection. The jitter que is the first to go up and start adding latency. Mind you, unless you spend big bucks it will never be perfect. Enjoy!
I appreciate but don’t fully understand the posts here. Perhaps one of you could enlighten me. I have a MacBook Pro with up-to-date software. I’m not using any audio interface at present. Internet speeds are: ping 19, dwnld 9.3, upld 1.5. Latency rating is 26 which means I cannot join any sessions. I have a direct Ethernet cable to my modem, which is fairly new. Does any know what I should do to be able to jam? Thanks in advance.
(05-09-2020, 09:22 PM)Tim.brose Wrote: I appreciate but don’t fully understand the posts here. Perhaps one of you could enlighten me. I have a MacBook Pro with up-to-date software. I’m not using any audio interface at present. Internet speeds are: ping 19, dwnld 9.3, upld 1.5. Latency rating is 26 which means I cannot join any sessions. I have a direct Ethernet cable to my modem, which is fairly new. Does any know what I should do to be able to jam? Thanks in advance.

>>>
Your connection could do if no other computers/phones/tablets/game computers /etc are eatin' away at your bandwidth.
Internal notebook/laptop sound cards are hardly up to the task, although some tweaking in the client can bring that latency down a bit. But basically that's where the dedicated external sound card or 'audio interface' comes in.
Look in the published list on this forum. A sound card does not have to cost big money to get you playing online.
(05-09-2020, 09:57 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 09:22 PM)Tim.brose Wrote: I appreciate but don’t fully understand the posts here. Perhaps one of you could enlighten me. I have a MacBook Pro with up-to-date software. I’m not using any audio interface at present. Internet speeds are: ping 19, dwnld 9.3, upld 1.5. Latency rating is 26 which means I cannot join any sessions. I have a direct Ethernet cable to my modem, which is fairly new. Does any know what I should do to be able to jam? Thanks in advance.

>>>
Your connection could do if no other computers/phones/tablets/game computers /etc are eatin' away at your bandwidth.
Internal notebook/laptop sound cards are hardly up to the task, although some tweaking in the client can bring that latency down a bit. But basically that's where the dedicated external sound card or 'audio interface' comes in.
Look in the published list on this forum. A sound card does not have to cost big money to get you playing online.

Tim here again: Dimitri, thank you for your help. No one else was using the internet at the time. I will definitely purchase an external audio interface if it will help, which I understand you to be saying. In my simple mind, I understand you to mean that the audio interface would take the burden off the internal sound card, thereby reducing the latency. Do I understand this correctly?
A external audio interface will not take the burden of the internal audio interface, as such.

It will replace it completely.

And the quality of external interfaces is usually much better than their internal counterparts.

More "fast", better sound quality, more stability. And not to forget - usually more inputs