• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does This work for anyone???
Hans Peter.. thank you for clarifying this. It's good information. I do want to be careful not make assumptions beyond what some users have shared. I appreciate what you are saying. Thanks
I've been using JK very successfully for the last couple months. Started with my self and two other guys in AZ, one in TX. One guy had issues with his setup, but overall it worked. Two hour long rehearsals. Then we tried 2 of us in AZ, one in TX, and one in CT. There was noticeable latency, but everything still worked. Most recently, three of us in AZ, one in TX, but one of the AZ guys (first time user) was not wired via ethernet, instead was WiFi. We had some bad latency issues at times, but it still was workable. Next time, that person will be hard wired, and I expect we will have our best results so far.

It does take some time to work out the interface, IT, and network issues, but once you do, it should be consistent going forward.
About distance and total latency.

Here are examples of some of `my` connections below 30 milliseconds.
In miles. milliseconds and country:

4 = 15 - Denmark
7 = 18 - Denmark
10 = 22 - Denmark
13 = 18 - Denmark
25 = 20 - Sweden
35 = 24 - Denmark
60 = 22 - Denmark
90 = 29 - Denmark
130 = 27 - Denmark
180 = 29 - Sweden
250 = 28 - Norway
320 = 27 - Germany
400 = 29 - Sweden
500 = 27 - Germany
1000 = 28 - Norway

Distances over 180 miles are roughly estimated.
While all the latency values ​​are pretty accurate.

Note that with all those connections, there are usually no issues at all in terms of sound quality.
`Bypassing` UK:

770 miles - Dublin, Ireland = 30 milliseconds
9 milliseconds total latency.
It's the lowest I've ever heard of.

It took place in a session a few days ago in the northeastern United States.
Specifically between Boston and a place in New Jersey.
I agree that it can be a frustrating process. At the University where I work, we are using JK with the music department to be able to play together remotely. What I have found throughout my learning process with JK is that it is two steps forward and one back. Many of my instructors become quite frustrated when something does not work, or worse yet, suddenly stops working. But what I have found is, for the most part, there is a solution to most problems. You may have to dig quite a bit for the solution or figure it out yourself, but there is a solution.
Is it worth the effort? I think so. When we had a number of instructors on our campus network which had zero latency, it was magic. It gave everyone a sense of hope that all the effort is worthwhile, at least for us.
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
Here i am to eat my words, lol. Last night, i experienced the best low latency performance yet. I've been on since March. The session had 3 JK users (including myself), and 300 miles away. We played for 3 hours and there were some other anomalies but we played through them. Typically we stick with slower tempo songs but decided to speed up the tempo to see if we will keep in sync. Sure enough it did. So that was exciting. Perhaps a good day for internet low traffic. Hopefully it's repeatable.
(07-23-2020, 04:24 PM)digitalrelay Wrote: I've been using JK very successfully for the last couple months. Started with my self and two other guys in AZ, one in TX. One guy had issues with his setup, but overall it worked. Two hour long rehearsals. Then we tried 2 of us in AZ, one in TX, and one in CT. There was noticeable latency, but everything still worked. Most recently, three of us in AZ, one in TX, but one of the AZ guys (first time user) was not wired via ethernet, instead was WiFi. We had some bad latency issues at times, but it still was workable. Next time, that person will be hard wired, and I expect we will have our best results so far.

It does take some time to work out the interface, IT, and network issues, but once you do, it should be consistent going forward.
I'm curious if you would share you ISP in AZ? My brother's a pretty techy kinda guy and has been trying to help me out a bit. He just sent me links to a couple of forums, one of which is from the Cox's own website where folks are complaining about the jitter issues they're having. These are mostly gamers and some VoIP clients who are dropping packets like crazy. They claim it's because of Cox's unwillingness to upgrade equipment and some have gone so far as to report Cox to the FCC. They're fed up with paying $75 to $100 a month for internet service and can't even play games reliably. We ran some ping tests and my network at home is great. It's when I test it over the internet that the numbers suck and bounce all over the place which is exactly what happens when I attempt to use JK.  So curious if anyone else in the Phoenix area is using Cox Communications and if so with what level of success.
(07-23-2020, 01:55 PM)GDJ Wrote: Hans Peter.. thank you for clarifying this. It's good information. I do want to be careful not make assumptions beyond what some users have shared. I appreciate what you are saying. Thanks
Heart
Near Oxford, UK. Perhaps a good 'control' simple use case. I have been practicing virtually with our band singer who lives a few hundred metres away, and we plan to bring others on board for all the reasons (saving expense and inconvenience of practices, leading to more frequent practices and better quality performances . . .).
Whatever the metrics, we have consistently had very satisfactory vox-and-keys sessions over the last couple of months except for a popping noise from the vox, but also some dropouts at the vocalist end which I don't seem to have experienced at the keys end. My (keys) provider is a local microwave provider typically 60mbps down and 40mbps up possibly with an unusual contention profile. The vox provider is a fibre supplier with similar figures but probably a larger customer base owing to greater uptake - this got established later than the microwave provision which serves people who desperately needed broadband ahead of the fibre provision.
So the quality of service should be comparable at either end. We did have some sessions including players from the US, Germany and Netherlands which went OK except for latency on the Michigan leg and one Germany participant who recognised that his equipment was the probable cause.
Our 2-person use case seemed set to be perfect when we went to Focusrite 2i2 (ASIO) interfaces at both end but we now notice 'popping' on the vox, about to be trouble-shot by swapping mics tomorrow. Eminently workable as a 2-person low-separation distance practice capability right now, will update with any discoveries from the mic-swap and subsequent activities. Video brilliant including lip-synch.
I think my bottom line is - robust for low-separation duos once a pro interface is in use! Thank you JamKazam!