JamKazam Forums
"Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" - Printable Version

+- JamKazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com)
+-- Forum: Jamkazam Forums (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Help with Network Gear (https://forum.jamkazam.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: "Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" (/showthread.php?tid=408)

"Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" - agrikk - 04-16-2020

I am setting up my firewall (Sonicwall NSA4500) to work with JamKazam and I am receiving this error.

I have specified "same set of UDP ports" starting at 12000 in the client on my PC
I have poked a hole in my firewall allowing UDP ports 12000-12010
I have set up NAT to forward UDP ports 12000-12010 to the IP address of my PC.
I have checked "Enable consistent NAT" under VoIP options (per some KB I found while googling this problem)

And yet my network test always fails.

What have I missed?

[attachment=74]
[attachment=75]

RE: "Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" - Albey - 05-22-2020

(04-16-2020, 02:21 AM)agrikk Wrote: I am setting up my firewall (Sonicwall NSA4500) to work with JamKazam and I am receiving this error.

I have specified "same set of UDP ports" starting at 12000 in the client on my PC
I have checked "Enable consistent NAT" under VoIP options (per some KB I found while googling this problem)

What have I missed?

I'm in the same situation... I would like to broadcast staying behind a SonicWall TZ... Ho can we solve?

RE: "Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" - Dimitri Muskens - 05-22-2020

>>>
Do you have a 'public (unique) IP-address'?

Also, JKZ does not support IPv6, in any shape or form. (no DS-Lite, tunneling, etc.)

RE: "Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" - Albey - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 11:42 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
Do you have a 'private (unique) IP-address'?

Also, JKZ does not support IPv6, in any shape or form. (no DS-Lite, tunneling, etc.)

I have a public ip static address ...

RE: "Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" - Dimitri Muskens - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 02:37 PM)Albey Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 11:42 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
Do you have a 'private (unique) IP-address'?

I have a public ip static address ...
>>>
IPv6 disabled?

ipv6 disabled on my Sonicwall and I see the udp traffic on ports 12000 is forwarded ... but still have "gray" friends

RE: "Independent mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin" - scottpbutler11@gmail.com - 05-22-2020

(04-16-2020, 02:21 AM)agrikk Wrote: I am setting up my firewall (Sonicwall NSA4500) to work with JamKazam and I am receiving this error.

What have I missed?
I am in the same situation as agrikk in terms of network test failing and I am also behind a SonicWall TZ400 router.

I have had quite a bit of experience in the networking world and what I am missing is how Jam Kazam really works with networking.  I have seen lots of try this or that but no discussion of how it works.  For example:

- Does the client always initiate the connection to the server?
- And/or do the jam kazam clients to directly to each other?
- Do I need to allow incoming connections or are just outbound OK?
- What ports does Jam Kazam use?
- Can I specify the port(s) it uses and if so how?
- What do the nebulous networking errors really mean? (can't connect to the following IP XXX on the port YYY, etc.)
- It would be nice to have the networking test be able to be run outside of a session and give the user more information of the specific issue

It seems to me that most users but be in some kind of a NAT situation with a firewall.  That is definitely my setup.

I guess I could try to use a tool like Wireshark to figure it out but it would be nice to get the basics just documented somewhere to alleviate all of the guessing that is going on.

Please help!

BTW - I would be happy to help author a KB on how the networking works and how to troubleshoot issues once I understand how it works.

(05-22-2020, 03:56 PM)scottpbutler11@gmail.com Wrote:

What have I missed?
I am in the same situation as agrikk in terms of network test failing and I am also behind a SonicWall TZ400 router.

I have had quite a bit of experience in the networking world and what I am missing is how Jam Kazam really works with networking.  I have seen lots of try this or that but no discussion of how it works.  For example:

- Does the client always initiate the connection to the server?
- And/or do the jam kazam clients to directly to each other?
- Do I need to allow incoming connections or are just outbound OK?
- What ports does Jam Kazam use?
- Can I specify the port(s) it uses and if so how?
- What do the nebulous networking errors really mean? (can't connect to the following IP XXX on the port YYY, etc.)
- It would be nice to have the networking test be able to be run outside of a session and give the user more information of the specific issue

It seems to me that most users but be in some kind of a NAT situation with a firewall.  That is definitely my setup.

I guess I could try to use a tool like Wireshark to figure it out but it would be nice to get the basics just documented somewhere to alleviate all of the guessing that is going on.

Please help!

BTW - I would be happy to help author a KB on how the networking works and how to troubleshoot issues once I understand how it works.

Right scottpbutler11@gmail.com ! It would be marvellous to have those informations!