• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
basic start-up
Question 
Hi, All -  I'm brand new here and excited at the JK offering. Thank you for being patient and helpful! So, basic hook-up question. I have a 2017 MacBook Air and a newish Yamaha Mixer with USB out. When I connect the mixer to USB it works with Zoom just fine. Question: can I use the same set-up for JK? The Mac's, or, do I need a stand alone audio interface?
I still need the mixer as I have multiple line & mic sources I'm using. I'm planning on getting the thunderbolt to RJ45 adaptor (any recommendations?) for the internet connection. Finally, I'm a Comcast/Xfinity customer and if someone is familiar with that provider (and their generic modems) do you have any suggestions on the best set-up with that? Thanks!
You are on the right track

Since the Mixer has USB, it implies it can also work as an interface. You may not need to purchase a separate one 

The understanding with the mixer is, it will provide a maximum of 2 channel outputs L/R. Which, is fine since you are on the right track for having everything plugged into the mixer already and can control it from there. Unless you have a very expensive mixer with usb that will support as many outputs per channels.

Sounds like you posted your question but did not mention whether you attempted to try connecting the mixer via Audio Device setup in JK. Give it a shot and see whether it sees the Yamaha as a device to select the Input and Output channels? If not, get the latest drivers. If it still doesn't see it, then maybe it's time to consider a popular reasonably priced audio interface. There's a running list around here on the forum somewhere, but focusrite and behringer seem to be good enough and common. And, even if you picked up a 2 channel AI, you can connect your L/R OUT form the mixer to L/R IN of the AI so you can still use all your instruments connect to the mixer. Make sense?

Ethernet. Yes, getting wired is the best solution (not just with Coffee). Get the Ethernet to thunderbolt adapter. Any brand will do. I have the apple adapter.

Modems. Hard to believe here in 2020, what you have isn't adequate enough. I suspect you have a Router you are going to plug your Airbook into. Unless you are planing on connecting directly to the Modem. Even better more direct. Or, if your Modem serves as a gateway with built in router. In which case down the road consider enabling port forwarding for JamKazam. But, if the reason your asking about the modem is because you don't have an extra port, consider a switch to add more ports, or a new modem/router with extra ports. This is a personal decision and you should make sure it is agreement with Comcast. I know if i change my hardware, my internet stops. I have to call my ISP support to added the device MAC ID address to their systems so it recognizes it. Not like the old days. It's worth a call to them to see what they advise as the latest and greatest and to make sure it supports all the speed they are giving you, and you are paying for.

One step at a time. Get the Yamaha working first
(05-25-2020, 05:20 PM)Grateful Dead Jams Wrote: You are on the right track

Since the Mixer has USB, it implies it can also work as an interface. You may not need to purchase a separate one 

The understanding with the mixer is, it will provide a maximum of 2 channel outputs L/R. Which, is fine since you are on the right track for having everything plugged into the mixer already and can control it from there. Unless you have a very expensive mixer with usb that will support as many outputs per channels.

Sounds like you posted your question but did not mention whether you attempted to try connecting the mixer via Audio Device setup in JK. Give it a shot and see whether it sees the Yamaha as a device to select the Input and Output channels? If not, get the latest drivers. If it still doesn't see it, then maybe it's time to consider a popular reasonably priced audio interface. There's a running list around here on the forum somewhere, but focusrite and behringer seem to be good enough and common. And, even if you picked up a 2 channel AI, you can connect your L/R OUT form the mixer to L/R IN of the AI so you can still use all your instruments connect to the mixer. Make sense?

Ethernet. Yes, getting wired is the best solution (not just with Coffee). Get the Ethernet to thunderbolt adapter. Any brand will do. I have the apple adapter.

Modems. Hard to believe here in 2020, what you have isn't adequate enough. I suspect you have a Router you are going to plug your Airbook into. Unless you are planing on connecting directly to the Modem. Even better more direct. Or, if your Modem serves as a gateway with built in router. In which case down the road consider enabling port forwarding for JamKazam. But, if the reason your asking about the modem is because you don't have an extra port, consider a switch to add more ports, or a new modem/router with extra ports. This is a personal decision and you should make sure it is agreement with Comcast. I know if i change my hardware, my internet stops. I have to call my ISP support to added the device MAC ID address to their systems so it recognizes it. Not like the old days. It's worth a call to them to see what they advise as the latest and greatest and to make sure it supports all the speed they are giving you, and you are paying for.

One step at a time. Get the Yamaha working first

Thank you, Grateful Dead Jams!