• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unacceptable Latency solutions please
I had high hopes for Jamkazam, but have hit failures so far.

Manage, Audio Settings, Easy Audio Setup says that my friend Melanie and I both look good for internal gear latency 
Session Diagnostics and Stats (in the Session page, the green dot) all look good, for both of us.
We both have high speed internet, using direct-connect not wifi. 
We're in the same city.

I start a Friends-only session; I see her name, hover over it, and it says "Your latency to Melanie is: UNACCEPTABLE"  
It doesn't say why.  Google searches haven't helped. So I throw myself on your mercy.

• I tried Manage, Networking, Test network - I either get an immediate  "No network test servers are available" (forums say they often are down), or I get a bit farther, then get a "disconnected" message. 
    But if they were up, what might they have said? And what might I do based on that? Tweak some port settings on my router? 
  • Can we connect and try playing together even if it says "unacceptable"? Maybe we gave up too soon.
  • Any other advice?
Thanks!
Here you can read about latency - to get more understanding and ammunition:

LATENCY, mostly TOTAL LATENCY
> https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=171

And you can search, for - latency - audio interface latency - internet latency - and similar.

And here is some text from another thread - about TEST NETWORK:

From - Frequent topics, in short
https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=284

5. TEST NETWORK is not working for the moment.

Just ignore for the moment - and proceed !!!

JamKazam try to fix it. It was proclamated for a couple of days ago (and several other times, I think)
It should be a complicated matter.
It can take weeks or months, I believe.

TEST NETWORK tell about the quality and quantity of the internet connection.
For example how many particitants the connection can support in a session; audio and video.

When I did TEST NETWORK - when it work - my connection could support 8 in a session + 3 or 4 of them with video

Some connections can only support for example 3 with 1 video

I have never heard about a connection that can support more than 8.

Keep that in mind! You will learn by the hard way - sessions breaks apart
---

Good luck!
(05-24-2020, 03:03 PM)LindsayMorris Wrote: I had high hopes for Jamkazam, but have hit failures so far.

Manage, Audio Settings, Easy Audio Setup says that my friend Melanie and I both look good for internal gear latency 
Session Diagnostics and Stats (in the Session page, the green dot) all look good, for both of us.
We both have high speed internet, using direct-connect not wifi. 
We're in the same city.

I start a Friends-only session; I see her name, hover over it, and it says "Your latency to Melanie is: UNACCEPTABLE"  
It doesn't say why.  Google searches haven't helped. So I throw myself on your mercy.

• I tried Manage, Networking, Test network - I either get an immediate  "No network test servers are available" (forums say they often are down), or I get a bit farther, then get a "disconnected" message. 
    But if they were up, what might they have said? And what might I do based on that? Tweak some port settings on my router? 
  • Can we connect and try playing together even if it says "unacceptable"? Maybe we gave up too soon.
  • Any other advice?
Thanks!
Your Internet "speed" has little to do with the issue you're seeing. What you're probably experiencing is the Internet latency itself which varies due to traffic congestion and ISP configurations. About all you can do is pick a time of day that might give you lower traffic congestion... Trial and error. Also, be sure that both of you have the absolute lowest audio device latency that you can get. Tweak the buffering, frame rate and recording frequency. You should be able to get less than 4 msecs on any current audio interface.
I agree with StuartR about the time of day factor. Too bad our local news doesn’t provide Internet Traffic reports.

We are in 2020 and all of us at a minimum should have enough hardware and internet speed by now, to have an ideal experience. But, given that many household devices are internet based along with different routers, and our neighbors on the same ISP are deciding to Stream at the same time, translates into internet latency.

Contrary to the idea that distance between two players/peers should not matter. Not true, it does.  Regardless of the so called “science” of it, it really comes down to your own relative experience. Having been playing now regularly since March let me share my experience.

I regularly get together with other players that are local to me within a 60 mi range and are on different ISPs. They are always Yellow. That’s not bad! Otherwise people out of state or in other areas of my state are Red (California, a big state). This is the case 100 percent of the time. It is what it is, regardless of what the facts say it should be. Anyone who argues this is because they are having a better experience, and are lucky. Everything is lined up for them, just right

Lindsay, my main playing partner is 2 miles down the road from me and we are on the same ISP. Here’s what we make sure for our individual session.

In Audio Booster, we both have 128 kbits, and 1ms experimental selected. We are both Yellow to each other. And, some sessions start out pretty good. We have a couple of best practices tips we adhere to.
  • 1. Resync before each song.
  • 2. After 20 to 30  minutes, restart the App. Otherwise, we have noticed the longer we try and get mileage out of the initial session, it gets worse.
  • 3. Playing rules. One person should be responsible for sticking to the tempo. Otherwise, you start trying to play to the other persons timing and before you know it, you’re both getting slower and slower. Sigh. But when you have lower latency it’s not as much as a struggle.
  • 4. Our experience is, slow/moderate songs work better
  • 5. the more players in the session, the worse it gets. I suspect this is also because everyone may has their own Audio Booster settings

Back to what Staurt mentioned, picking a good time to play.

Regarding the resync button, should each participant do that, and at different times? What does resync do, exactly? Pardon the basic question. Thanks.
(05-25-2020, 06:01 PM)Doug N. Wrote: Regarding the resync button, should each participant do that, and at different times? What does resync do, exactly? Pardon the basic question. Thanks.

Doug, i cannot provide a technical explanation to the resync button other then it is significant. With my music partner, we communicate when to use it.

I think we can agree that in debt technical questions about JK is limited. I personally have done my best to find what I can from information that is years old.

I know in some sessions with many participants when the session tanks (meaning the audio drop), the sync button returns the audio. It's obviously there for a reason!
Thanks, esp GratefulDeadJams:
I tried all that, no joy yet.
Mostly I'm wondering how to get more info on "Your latency to Melanie is Unacceptable". Is it close? Is it a bogus message?
I guess I'm just frustrated that I see a big "NO!" and can't see any more detail.
Hi Lindsay

I'm not sure if you have actually tried a session together, but it is worth trying even if you find the latency too high. You should see a box on the screen with the details of the other person, including a coloured dot representing their latency. If you hover your mouse over the dot, more information comes up about different characteristics of their audio interface and network. They can see similar information for your interface and network.

If you've already tried this, then sorry for wasting your time!

Steve
"After 20 to 30 minutes, restart the App. Otherwise, we have noticed the longer we try and get mileage out of the initial session, it gets worse." !?

That is interesting.

I usually restart the App, too. Routinely!

But not after 20-30 minutes. I have never found that necessary, in general.

Every 4 hours approx. I think that is generally smart. After many years of experience with various programs. Especially Windows programs, not Linux for example

Not especially because I've discovered that it is particular necessary to do it with JamKazam.

Then I of course find it VERY interesting that you do it after 20-30 minutes, Grateful
(05-26-2020, 01:51 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: "After 20 to 30  minutes, restart the App. Otherwise, we have noticed the longer we try and get mileage out of the initial session, it gets worse." !?

That is interesting.

I usually restart the App, too. Routinely!

But not after 20-30 minutes. I have never found that necessary, in general.

Every 4 hours approx. I think that is generally smart. After many years of experience with various programs. Especially Windows programs, not Linux for example

Not especially because I've discovered that it is particular necessary to do it with JamKazam.

Then I of course find it VERY interesting that you do it after 20-30 minutes, Grateful

Hey Hans.. i will admit, the 20 to 30 rule is personal one, a best practice agreement with my music buddy. Otherwise, we forget to do it. lol. But we are observing at times it helps. We just make sure we do it.