• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to connect live drums int JK?
Greetings. I need some adult supervision, please.

I wish to collaborate with others on JK with a live drum kit. I have everything close mic’d 
with 11 channels running into Presonus FireWire.  I’m using Logic Pro 10.5 on a Mac.-_

My levels are set and I can get a great drum sound recording into logic.   However, I am not clear how to set up JK such that it receives this.    When I get to the set up page, it seems to offer the option of setting up two channels. How do I merge my 11 channels from logic into something that’s acceptable to JK and that will match the output that I would normally get from logic in a bounced file?

Please advise.

Thanks,

R
(05-19-2020, 03:12 AM)Riddim1 Wrote: Greetings. I need some adult supervision, please.

I wish to collaborate with others on JK with a live drum kit. I have everything close mic’d 
with 11 channels running into Presonus FireWire.  I’m using Logic Pro 10.5 on a Mac.-_

My levels are set and I can get a great drum sound recording into logic.   However, I am not clear how to set up JK such that it receives this.    When I get to the set up page, it seems to offer the option of setting up two channels. How do I merge my 11 channels from logic into something that’s acceptable to JK and that will match the output that I would normally get from logic in a bounced file?

Please advise.

Thanks,

R

>>>
Sounds like a nice setup. A software like blackhole, jack, etc. and hardware with the appropriate options (e.g. 18in/18out) can be used to achieve that.
However, there is no need to feed everyone of your drum channels to JKZ. It will only clutter your screen, make things more complicated and congest your connection. Why don't you make a proper (stereo?) mixdown of your kit and feed those two channels into JKZ via your external soundcard/'audio interface'? A peer/other jammer will only get one combined signal from you anyway.
Thanks very much for the quick reply.

I will learn how to do what you suggest and go from there.
(05-19-2020, 02:09 PM)Nick Costa Wrote: Thanks very much for the quick reply.

I have a similar setup using Logic and Acoustic Drums... And I use an Aggregate Audio device setup using Blackhole and my Focusrite Clarett 8pre.  Works very well.  Let me know if you need any further help.

~JB
(05-19-2020, 02:57 PM)jbuecker Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 02:09 PM)Nick Costa Wrote: Thanks very much for the quick reply.

I have a similar setup using Logic and Acoustic Drums... And I use an Aggregate Audio device setup using Blackhole and my Focusrite Clarett 8pre.  Works very well.  Let me know if you need any further help.

~JB
I do, thanks. I'm using Logic Pro X 10.5.  I've created an Aggregate Device between my interface (Presonus Firewire) and Black hole.  Still can't get audio to JK.
set Blackhole as your IN and OUT for Jamkazam. I suggest (If you are sending a stereo pair to JK), that you use input 3 and input4 Blackhole INPUT for Jamkazam, and output 5 and 6 Blackhole for Jamkazam output.... Then you can set LOGIC audio interface to the Aggregate and route accordingly... you have discrete control over sound coming from MAC, or sound coming from JamKazam, and your own monitoring...... make sure what you want to SEND to Jamkazam from pithing logic would go to Blackhole 3 and 4 (In this example). Let me know if you still need help.

~HTH
~JB
(06-02-2020, 06:45 PM)jbuecker Wrote: set Blackhole as your IN and OUT for Jamkazam.  I suggest (If you are sending a stereo pair to JK), that you use input 3 and input4 Blackhole INPUT for Jamkazam, and output 5 and 6 Blackhole for Jamkazam output.... Then you can set LOGIC audio interface to the Aggregate and route accordingly... you have discrete control over sound coming from MAC, or sound coming from JamKazam, and your own monitoring...... make sure what you want to SEND to Jamkazam from pithing logic would go to Blackhole 3 and 4 (In this example).  Let me know if you still need help.

~HTH
~JB
I'll try those.   Thanks very much for the quick response.
Tried them and was able to get JK to record a loop from Logic. This is a first for me - thanks very much.

The sound quality in JK was horrible; a robust bass sound playing in Logic was reduced to a cheesy 80's synth like sound. I hope it's not like that to folks listening on the other end.

Next is to try to ply with a remote bassist while under mics on the kit. Should be able to do so in a few hours. Presumably I'll I need to arm and hit and make sure the i button is deactivated record in Logic before playing? Hopefully the headphones will hear what Black Hole and JK do.

The fun never stops. Thanks again for your help.
(06-05-2020, 06:33 PM)Nick Costa Wrote: Tried them and was able to get JK to record a loop from Logic.    This is a first for me - thanks very much.

The sound quality in JK was horrible; a robust bass sound playing in Logic was reduced to a cheesy 80's synth like sound.    I hope it's not like that to folks listening on the other end.

Next is to try to ply with a remote bassist while under mics on the kit.  Should be able to do so in a few hours.  Presumably I'll  I need to arm and hit and make sure the i button is deactivated record in Logic before playing?    Hopefully the headphones will hear what Black Hole and JK do.

The fun never stops. Thanks again for your help.
Hmm, has to be something configured wrong... no way the sounds gets converted like that ... i promise....

Remember All throughout your system you want everything set to 48KHZ.... that means your Logic PROJECT SETTING, The Aggregate Device, basically everything (As far as Jamkazam is concerned)

Try again, and let me know how I can help

~JB