• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jitter Queue
In a duo session with a mate a few miles away, my end of the session has fine diagnostics at ~23ms total latency.  On his end, he sees my Jitter Queue as being red in the 7.x ms range with the balance of parameters green or yellow and similar to what I see on my end.  Audio Boost adjustments don't seem to have an impact.  I'm on a 2019 MacBook Pro, he's on a desktop running windows.  Both of us on cable router/modem.

Suggestions on how to improve Jitter Queue?

Thanks!
My crew are also having the same problem and I'm using a 2019 MBP too.

All I gear is top end and individually our interface latencies are very good, around 3-5ms.

We all live in the same city a few kilometres apart.

However, we are experiencing a lot of internet jitter, which varies the total latency from around 30ms up to 100ms, no good for playing in time especially for a drummer!

I'm not sure what the answer is, it's probably a combination of few things, maybe high load given the current situation.

Any tips here would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Adding to observed session diags. Did 2 more duo sessions with other 'mates, both within 5 miles of me. Me still on '19 MacBook Pro and Behringer UMC202HD direct wire to modem. First session was with a desktop/windows with 3rd Gen Focusrite Solo and duplicated my other experience of Jitter Queue mostly in red causing total latency to be mostly in red. 2nd session w/mate running apple MacBook Pro thru a Behringer small mixer w/USB and each of our total latency was green at 23 ms and no issue with Jitter Queue. (his Behringer mixer interface latency decent at 10.3ms).
(05-18-2020, 01:32 PM)jambandman Wrote: Adding to observed session diags.  Did 2 more duo sessions with other 'mates, both within 5 miles of me.  Me still on '19 MacBook Pro and Behringer UMC202HD direct wire to modem.  First session was with a desktop/windows with 3rd Gen Focusrite Solo and duplicated my other experience of Jitter Queue mostly in red causing total latency to be mostly in red.  2nd session w/mate running apple MacBook Pro thru a Behringer small mixer w/USB and each of our total latency was green at 23 ms and no issue with Jitter Queue.  (his Behringer mixer interface latency decent at 10.3ms).
>>>
Jitter que as mentioned is internet jitter, or 'noise', caused by sending/receiving of data-packets not being (properly) aligned.
It could be network congestion, routing of the signal(s) and/or changes therein, or as simple as a malfunctioning UTP-cable, router, socket, etc.
Congestion can be caused by any other use of your connections in your household. Facetime/skype/downloading-uploading/netflix/game consoles/etc.
Thanks, Dimitri. That's what I assumed it was from it's label. What I wonder is this: both sessions with windows and Focusrite 3rd Gen Solo interface show '0.0ms' (or 'unknown during test) for interface latency and in sessions, both show Jitter Queue (as monitored in the windows system) as red. My system (MacBook Pro w/Behringer) shows acceptable diags at 23ms. In 2 sessions where both systems are apple/behringer, all diags are green/yellow with total latency in mid 20s. No other household bandwidth draw and have tried different times to see if general area load might impact, but no real change.

Small sample size, but wondering if there's 'something' in windows and 3rd Gen Focusrite Solo with it's measured '0ms interface latency and red Jitter Queue. (on the interface thread, the Focusrite solo in the confirmed list with the 2i2 3rd Gen having comment 'works w/apple but windows issue').