• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording Problems and Weirdness
I'm pretty new to on-line music and JamKazam, so this all might be obvious and over-discussed somewhere. So far, my experience with recording has been very confusing. One, I've learned that recording in JamKazam is the epitome of "hit or miss." In a typical recording session, there is a lot of redundancy and backup work. When I've tried to save a "take" in a JK session, that makes starting another recording impossible and often blows up one or more of the players' JK sessions losing their data. That means JK assumes we want to leave record on for the length of the session, trusting that no one will have a problem that might lose their data. So far, that has been a poor assumption. Of a dozen attempts to make a recording of 4 players working on an original tune, we've only managed one good take and that was an early attempt that I wouldn't want to keep.

Two, cleaning up the JK "File Manager" is a frustrating experience. When JK mangles storing a recording, the File Manager appears to be unable to delete a recording that has "Missing" data, including when that missing data is on my own machine for whatever reason. I have several 2-3 week old recordings with "0M" or "NaNM" of data stored that can't be deleted. Or at least, won't stay deleted. I delete them and they come right back to File Manager. Some have "missing data," some "discarded," and some forever "pending upload." Seems like a waste of data storage to me.

Postscript 6/11/2020

I seem to have accidentally discovered another weird "feature" of JK's recording operation. Yesterday, after an hour session that I tried to record all of, the other musicians managed to exit the session (not JK) before I hit "Stop Recording." When I tried to stop the recording, I got an error message: "You are not recording" or something like that. The program still asked for the usual information about the recording, but the only data JK downloaded was mine. I lost the other 3 musicians' performances. So, there must be some sort of undocumented secret sequences of events required to obtain consistent recording data.
T.W. Day
Red Wing, MN
System: 2009 Mac Pro running OS X 11.11 (stuck here because I don't want to waste money updating beyond Pro Tools 11) with a MOTU Ultralite-mk3 Hybrid interface. I, occasionally, use a Dell Latitude laptop running Windows 10 Pro with the same audio interface.
Just responding to your first paragraph: I feel your pain! On a previous session, I thought, ok, we can record a song and then stop, and record the next one, right? Wrong, had the same experience you had. So yesterday, just let it record the whole 2 hour session, and hoping there's a way to edit individual songs out of that chunk. I'm sure there is, unfortunately I'm not a recording expert by any means. I see a new learning curve on the horizon.