• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
input without interface
A friend of mine is trying to get JamKazam working, but he does not have an interface. Is there any way to pull this off? He's running a bass into a Mac via a USB cable (I presume with an a/d converter). He's plugging in a mic via USB as well (I think). He's used to recording by running this set-up into GarageBand.

I'm guessing this is a no-go, but is there any sort of workaround?
No interface !?

Most modern computers have audio interface.

Build-in audio interfaces - also called internal.

It is still a audio interface - and can normally be used in Jamkazam.

But internal audio interfaces usually have lower quality, higher latency etc. And usually have only one or two inputs.

Sound card = audio interface. Audio interface = sound card
So the thing is: if you have two separate USB inputs into a Mac, will JK recognize and be able to use both of them? I have no experience with that sort of stuff in the iOS world, and not being able to see his gear, I'm pretty clueless about what's actually going on. 

Here's what he says the sticking point is: I was getting error messages about input and output drivers not syncing.

FWIW, his system is this: I have an iMac I purchased in 2018 with 1TB of storage and 8GB RAM. I’m using the latest OS (10.15.4). 
(05-12-2020, 02:46 PM)schmidt61059 Wrote: So the thing is: if you have two separate USB inputs into a Mac, will JK recognize and be able to use both of them? I have no experience with that sort of stuff in the iOS world, and not being able to see his gear, I'm pretty clueless about what's actually going on. 

Here's what he says the sticking point is: I was getting error messages about input and output drivers not syncing.

FWIW, his system is this: I have an iMac I purchased in 2018 with 1TB of storage and 8GB RAM. I’m using the latest OS (10.15.4). 
>>>

No, the number of usb ports on your mac have no bearing on JKZ.
When you use an audio interface it connects to ONE usb port. The 'audio interface' or 'external sound card' can have several inputs for instruments/microphones.
"iOS" has no place in this at all and is used by iPhones & iPads.
His mac is fine for use with JKZ - the internal sound card will most probably NOT be. (he will possibly get it to 'sound' but any playing will suffer from the latency in the equipment)
Right. Like I said, he has no interface.
Like I said:

Most modern computers have a audio interface built in.

And that is the case also with IMac, apparently:

"Aside from the quality of recording audio, what is the benefit of having an external interface, rather than using the built-in soundcard on an iMac?"
> https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt...hp?t=73327

Again:

Sound card = audio interface. Audio interface = sound card

BABBLE CONFUSION!
> https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=429
(05-12-2020, 04:53 PM)schmidt61059 Wrote: Right. Like I said, he has no interface.
>>>
So, which part of all the above is not clear enough?