• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New and not Tech savvy
Hi I'm new to online sessions and also new to using tech with music. I play Bodhran and various stringed instruments, I have a dynamic Yoga mic, Berhinger Xenyx 502. My PC has SSD is fast I have the option for using Linux or Windows 10 and I have a webcam that takes up a USB port and audio input separately. I also have a Bandlab Link analogue. I can set up Jamkazam upstairs from my computer using just the webcam and onboard mic but the latency is about 40ms which is far too long making me very unpopular as the drummer. I can improve on that by running a very long line through the house upstairs direct from my router but Windows settings only give me the option for a webcam or a mic? So the other day I set up downstairs on a cheap laptop, with on board camera, using my beringer and microphone and headphones watched all the videos, altered all the settings accordingly all was working fine in the test session but the minute I join the other musicians all I got was ear bleeding feedback I had to turn all the setting on the mixer down to virtually nothing. I couldn't hear them but they could not hear me swearing like a tropper. I've been thinking of getting a condenser mic that maybe I could use with the Bandlab link on my PC any thoughts?
(05-11-2020, 12:00 PM)cfbwey Wrote: Hi I'm new to online sessions and also new to using tech with music. I play Bodhran and various stringed instruments, I have a dynamic Yoga mic, Berhinger Xenyx 502. My PC has SSD is fast I have the option for using Linux or Windows 10 and I have a webcam that takes up a USB port and audio input separately. I also have a Bandlab Link analogue. I can set up Jamkazam upstairs from my computer using just the webcam and onboard mic but the latency is about 40ms which is far too long making me very unpopular as the drummer. I can improve on that by running a very long line through the house upstairs direct from my router but Windows settings only give me the option for a webcam or a mic? So the other day I set up downstairs on a cheap laptop, with on board camera, using my beringer and microphone and headphones watched all the videos, altered all the settings accordingly all was working fine in the test session but the minute I join the other musicians all I got was ear bleeding feedback I had to turn all the setting on the mixer down to virtually nothing. I couldn't hear them but they could not hear me swearing like a tropper. I've been thinking of getting a condenser mic that maybe I could use with the Bandlab link on my PC any thoughts?
>>>
That's a lot to chew on. What are you trying to resolve? The "upstairs" situation or the "cheap laptop" challenge?

In any which case the preferred signal path would be:
Mic and/or instrument into an external sound card/audio interface -> pc/laptop (via USB) -> configured 'through' JKZ -> via ethernet cable to your modem/router. To return in your headphones from the phones/monitor output of your external soundcard/audio interface. Local monitoring/speakers/'laptop audio gear'/ etc. muted and/or switched off.

Love the bodhrán by the way! What do you play?
D./
Hi Dimitri
Many thanks for that I shall try that tomorrow. I have found though that the instruments are fine but I can't use my dynamic mic just through the audio interface when recording because it needs power, unlike a condenser mic. So i'm assuming I might have to need a different mic for my Bodhrans as JKZ setup is very similar? Everything else sounds about right and local audio switched off was probably an issue the other night.
Not many love the Bodhran so that's good to hear, I play Hedwitschak rums I have two and I'm assuming you play also? Before the lockdown I played at a weekly Folk session. Recently accompanied a friend with his acoustic guitar for some of his songs so he's asked me to perform with him. which I'm looking forward to as it's more blues/jazz. I also play ukulele mostly Tenor, Baritone and Guilele all of which I use with a Uke group. and the list of other stringed instruments I mess around with is too long
>>>
Just assuming you have the Q502USB (?) Otherwise I do not understand how you have everything cabled up.
That little mixer has phantom power on the mic input (condensers actually take power, not dynamics)
And just to be clear, local monitoring should be off.
You'll only hear output when in a session, when everything is connected and configured correctly.

I play mainly CH's as well. Lovely drums. And, funny enough, also bari-uke.