• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please don't force execution of JK Win64 client updates...
Unfortunately, I've had to give up on JamKazam as of this morning because of it's insistence that it update itself on launch when a new client is required, with no way to exit.

There seems to be some kind interaction between JK and Avast Free Anti-virus on Windows 7 64-bit.  I can't prove it, but the behavior I've seen is consistent.

Every time one of these auto-updates launches, it locks up hard for me mid-update and I'm forced to manually power cycle the system. There is no way to kill the update process or even get to the Windows process monitor to kill the update process. 

I've had to do this many times now and it's very stressful knowing that I may destabilize the system every time I have to do one of these forced power cycles. 

I suggest please offering the option of just downloading the .msi file by default and let users manually install the update rather than automatically running it from the client.

If I manually disable the AV then do the update, it seems to be more stable, but the auto-updates don't give me a chance to quit the app, disable the AV and then run the updater.

Additionally, after the updates are installed using the manual .msi installer, please don't run the JK client, let the user run it on their own for the same reasons I list above.

While I appreciate that there have been near daily updates to the client recently to improve the product, the resulting chaos on my system just isn't worth the trouble anymore.

It's a shame because I have a configuration that has been working perfectly for JK, and I've actively worked to bring others on the platform.

It's just too disruptive for me to continue using until the auto-update situation is resolved.

Please consider offering the option to allow users to just download the .msi and install the updates on their own rather than attempting to auto update from the client itself.
Heard back from Peter Walker at JamKazam that they will add options to the Windows client to allow for manual install of the updates rather than forcing the update to occur immediately

That's good news!
I have a similar experience on W10 where the installation appears to hang.
This is due to the "allow program to update your system" dialogue not coming to the top and no sign it is there.
If I move focus away from the install window (click on another window) and then back to the install window hey presto the change system dialogue appears.

Don't you love windows . . . Linux please ;-)