• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"No Audio" - but one-sided
Hi folks, as with a lot of people, I'm trying to get Jamkazam working for a group of friends who are all isolated for lockdown & have come across a bit of an odd problem & hoping someone can give me some pointers / advice.

I'm all set-up & working ok, I can start a session & other musicians can join & we have full audio etc. If my Dad starts a session - I get the "no audio" showing against him when I join. He can join my sessions just fine & I can hear him.

From what I can tell, this is something related to router settings - but whose router? His or mine?

We're both fairly tech literate, but some of our friends that we want to get online are not so tech literate, so any basic level advice in getting people set up and configured would be really appreciated. The group is mostly acoustic guitars and singers.

Thanks!
Yes, ""no audio" is the key.

Search for that here. And "grayed out" - and "router"

And you will find some.

Here you can start, also:
Frequent topics, in short
> https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=284
Wait - who is not hearing who? Are you on a Mac?
(04-26-2020, 03:33 PM)wstejskal Wrote: Wait - who is not hearing who?  Are you on a Mac?
We're both on windows.

If I set up the session - my Dad can join & I have audio from him.

If my Dad sets up the session, I can join, but I don't get audio from him.

For both of us, if we run the test through a solo session, we have audio.
We had the same issue with one of our guys and found that disabling the Mac Firewall fixed that issue. Open System Preferences and search for "firewall". Click on the padlock at the bottom left (will require you to enter your password) and turn off the firewall, then click the padlock again. For Windoze, you can follow this link: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-disable-...ll-2624505.

A short explanation as to the cause...each person that joins a session has to make a peer-to-peer network connection with everyone else in the session. The default configuration of JamKazam is that it uses a range of network ports (think of it as a highway off-ramp that leads to your house). The firewall effectively closes the off-ramps, thus making it impossible to receive any audio, even though the affected person can still transmit. I hope that makes sense...
(04-26-2020, 04:55 PM)mpmartin68 Wrote: We had the same issue with one of our guys and found that disabling the Mac Firewall fixed that issue. Open System Preferences and search for "firewall".  Click on the padlock at the bottom left (will require you to enter your password) and turn off the firewall, then click the padlock again.  For Windoze, you can follow this link:  https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-disable-...ll-2624505.

A short explanation as to the cause...each person that joins a session has to make a peer-to-peer network connection with everyone else in the session.  The default configuration of JamKazam is that it uses a range of network ports (think of it as a highway off-ramp that leads to your house).  The firewall effectively closes the off-ramps, thus making it impossible to receive any audio, even though the affected person can still transmit.  I hope that makes sense...

That does make sense - we'll give it a go!

Thanks!