• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic Drums Questions
I am using an Alesis Crimson Drum Kit, an M-Audio Fast track and running it all through a MacBook. I am wondering how to bypass my Macbook's external mic so I can hear drum sounds from module and not clacking of hitting the rubber and plastic. Seems drum shops and jamkazam folks can't help me. Anyone out there able to tell me cables to connect where? Thank You!
>>>
Take your Left (mono) out into your M-Audio.
Go through the jkz audio gear setup and make sure that you can hear your drums in a 'quick test session'.
Preferably use a proper mic for talkback vocal (that you can mute on your M-Audio when not needed)
Alternatively configure your mac's mic for chat but 'mute' this channel in the jkz session by clicking on the little speaker symbol.
Or, ... mute the internal mic in your OS. (your headset ofcourse goes in the M-Audio as well)
(04-24-2020, 09:06 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
Go through the jkz audio gear setup and make sure that you can hear your drums in a 'quick test session'.
Preferably use a proper mic for talkback vocal (that you can mute on your M-Audio when not needed)
Alternatively configure your mac's mic for chat but 'mute' this channel in the jkz session by clicking on the little speaker symbol.
Or, ... mute the internal mic in your OS. (your headset ofcourse goes in the M-Audio as well)
Thank you DM.  I tried this again with a buddy with my M-Audio Interface hooked up. He could not hear me or my kit...well, faintly for a few minutes.  I could hear him perfectly. It looked like everything was set up correctly. System test told me it was working. My buddy suggested trying a DI. We worked on this for 2 hours. I am stumped. 
Here is my set up:
1.  USB cable from my Macbook Pro to the interface. 
2. My instrument cable connected from L output on my Alesis module to the "guitar" port on the interface.
3. I ran a little aux cable from AUX port on drum kit to my mic port on the Macbook
4. Headphones plugged into the Interface
5. Direct plug in to Internet router

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.
-Jim.
(04-24-2020, 05:57 PM)LadnerDrummer Wrote:
Thank you DM.  I tried this again with a buddy with my M-Audio Interface hooked up. He could not hear me or my kit...well, faintly for a few minutes.  I could hear him perfectly. It looked like everything was set up correctly. System test told me it was working. My buddy suggested trying a DI. We worked on this for 2 hours. I am stumped. 
Here is my set up:
2. My instrument cable connected from L output on my Alesis module to the "guitar" port on the interface.
3. I ran a little aux cable from AUX port on drum kit to my mic port on the Macbook

-Jim.

>>>
So, your gear successfully configured in jkz? You could hear the 'test ping'? You started a solo quick test session and you could hear your ekit clearly with local monitoring switched OFF?
If so, and your peers can still not hear you?, it looks like the error is on their side.
NB - why would you run an the extra AUX line?
(04-24-2020, 07:52 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 05:57 PM)LadnerDrummer Wrote:
Here is my set up:

-Jim.

>>>
So, your gear successfully configured in jkz? You could hear the 'test ping'? You started a solo quick test session and you could hear your ekit clearly with local monitoring switched OFF?
If so, and your peers can still not hear you?, it looks like the error is on their side.
NB - why would you run an the extra AUX line?
I heard the test ping, YES. I started the solo test session and it seemed to work BUT when I tried to record, it didn't work....then the system crashed on me.  As for the AUX line. I must've read to do that somewhere. I'll try it again tonight. SO, are you saying it sounds like I have everything hooked up properly (except for the AUX line)? 
>>>
Yes, the signal path seems oké. Get rid of the AUX cable.
"Seem to work" is not good enough.
You either hear your drums loud and clear (again, without local monitoring!), or you don't. Which is it?
I agree that seems to work isn't good enough. I bought a higher quality cable from Long and McQuade (a Vancouver music store) and I'll try again tonight. I have a feeling that Jamkazam probably is an overwhelmed platform.. we'll see. Thanks for the replies, eh?!