• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrade from USB → thunderbolt?
Is it worth it to move up to a thunderbolt interface (using a recent iMac, Catalina OS, Fios)?

Has anyone made that upgrade? Was it worth it, or were you disappointed?

I’m seeing 7.8 ms audio latency with a 2009 USB 1.1 Apogee jam (after dropping the frame rate to 1).

Should I declare victory or could I improve my experience with a low end thunderbolt interface? 

What have you found?

Thanks!
(04-20-2020, 04:52 PM)waban Wrote: Is it worth it to move up to a thunderbolt interface (using a recent iMac, Catalina OS, Fios)?

I’m seeing 7.8 ms audio latency with a 2009 USB 1.1 Apogee jam (after dropping the frame rate to 1).

Should I declare victory or could I improve my experience with a low end thunderbolt interface? 

What have you found?

Thanks!
>>>
7.8ms seems pretty good on CoreAudio.
I do believe to have read somewhere that USB2 would be a prerequisite(?)
Did you check the 'interfaces list' on this forum for more info?
(04-20-2020, 07:10 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 04:52 PM)waban Wrote: Is it worth it to move up to a thunderbolt interface (using a recent iMac, Catalina OS, Fios)?

What have you found?

Thanks!
>>>
7.8ms seems pretty good on CoreAudio.
I do believe to have read somewhere that USB2 would be a prerequisite(?)
Did you check the 'interfaces list' on this forum for more info?
Dimitri, thanks.

Yes, I read that USB 2 is a prerequisite and hadn't expected my interface to work at all (and it's definitely USB 1.1, see attached).

7.8ms seemed good, that 's why I wondered if getting it to 2 or 3, for example, would further improve the user experience. Maybe I'm done.

But maybe somebody with experience with one of the thunderbolt boxes can still offer some useful observations.

oh, the attachment

Attached Files
.pdf   my Apogee ONE [back].pdf (Size: 826.03 KB / Downloads: 2)
>>>
That would indeed be great as a starter (2-3ms) to give some play on the inevitable internet latency.
However, it seems that Apple CoreAudio cannot be persuaded, with any interface/sound card sofar, to give us those low numbers Undecided

Mind you, I have seen an (accidental?) 2.5ms on an MBP. But that was through the internal soundcard, which is pretty much useless in real life.

>>>
Let me add; there is some serious high-end (high dollar) equipment around, as used in pro recording studios, that will give you those lower latency numbers icw mac CoreAudio
You may be able to shave 2-5ms off of that time AT BEST depending on the drivers of the interface you get (and other settings of course). Changing the cable connection on its own isn't a guarantee that you will lower your latency. But yes, in theory a faster cable connection CAN allow for lower latency. Totally dependent on how the manufacture builds their device and codes the drivers. Some are fantastic, but some are terrible. Most are somewhere in the middle. And most of the best ones aren't cheap. You should be able to find those number if you look on manufactures' web sites and other forums / the net in general.

The number you have are very good, and likely aren't your biggest issue. If you are playing with a band or friend, what do their numbers look like? If they are higher than your that is an issue, especially if they are significantly higher (20-30ms+). Then what does your internet latency and jitter look like? If those numbers are high, see if there is anything you can do about those before you spend a bunch of money to HOPEFULLY lower your interface latency by a few ticks.
Waban,

I would say yes it is worth moving up to a Thunderbolt interface. I have experience with several Thunderbolt interfaces on the mac...
My current setup : MacBook Pro 2015 ; Mojave ; AT&T Fiber...
Focusrite Clarett 8 pre ..... with 1ms Frame size; Im getting 3.4 MS in JamKazam.
I also have used Resident Audio T2s and T4s ... (Thunderbolt) with 1ms Frame size i was getting 2.0 MS in JamKazam ..

(All using CoreAudio mind you)......
The concern you MIGHT have running 1ms frame size on Your particular interface is that it will present audio hiccups... Have you had clean success running that Apogee at 1ms frame size?

I love the Focusrite Thunderbolt interfaces, but they are a bit pricey...
The COST of Resident Audio interfaces used are VERY cheap.. and well worth it.... PM me... I have a T4 i might would sell you.

~JB