• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update gear to improve stats? Old vs new Mac.
(04-20-2020, 05:02 PM)waban Wrote: Good question. I had to replace my old iMac in late 2019. Here's my experience with a new iMac (SSD internal),
-  Catalina OS,
-  modest Fios (82 down, 29 up)
-  2009 Apogee ONE interface (USB 1.1)

→ latency was 10.2ms
I dropped the Frame Rate to 1 and now see latency of 7.8
jitter bounces around, going between .5 -.7, then dropping way down, ...
processor use is usually in 4-6% (w/o video; a little more, not much, with video)

Is this better than what you are seeing with the old Mac Pro + firewire?

Hope this helps.

I just posted a parallel question about updating from USB to thunderbolt.

Your numbers look very similar to mine.  I'm using frame rate of 2.5, which is the lowest I can get away with.  I wonder if a new mac would allow me to go to 1.  Seems likely as you and one of my band mates both have newer machines and are using frame rate of 1 successfully.   Do you know what your numbers looked like before the computer upgrade?  Also wondering if they would improve with an interface using better than usb1.

This attached pic would suggest exactly that (higher numbers are better - and they are NOT latency numbers, but rather benchmark ratings):

It was taken from this thread on Gearslutz:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/618474-audio-interface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html

F
YI, it is from 2011 and still going - 135 pages to date!  I didn't read them all lol.  But I did read the first and last ones if that counts Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Update gear to improve stats? Old vs new Mac. - by djs - 04-20-2020, 06:14 PM