• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jitter spikes
Hi:

Pretty new here and can't seem to find the solution to this or even if it's actually a problem or just how things are.

My session diagnostics and stats occasionally show Jitter in the red. It jumps to as high as 1.5ms input and output then back down to green.

My power setting is set to high performance so my minimum processor state is 100%.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
So, you’re saying that your proc is permanently operating at 100%?
(04-15-2020, 10:09 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: So, you’re saying that your proc is permanently operating at 100%?
The High performance setting power setting is set so the processor is always fully powered as opposed to a balanced setting where electrical power is made available as processor demand arises. Low processor demand low lower need. High requires high

It's recommended and makes sense as there is a lag between for processor demand and electrical supply in a balanced plan.
In my experience, the jitter indicators turn red when the short-term variation in latency (which is my interpretation of jitter) changes by more than 25% of the reported latency value, which is a longer-term average measure of latency. So keep that in mind in considering whether you need to worry about the red dot. To me, a jitter value of 1.5ms would probably be interpreted as your latency varying between 6 to 8 ms during a self session. In terms of absolute time, that's not much difference, and is acceptable, possibly not even noticeable to you. Now, when jamming with others who also have jitter, and including variability in Internet transit times (Internet jitter), the combined variability could be something like 20ms latency, plus or minus 8ms from one second to the next. As that combined jitter grows it becomes more distracting as jamming becomes sloppy due to those rapid changes in latency between players. Hope this helps
(04-16-2020, 02:19 PM)blandis Wrote: In my experience, the jitter indicators turn red when the short-term variation in latency (which is my interpretation of jitter) changes by more than 25% of the reported latency value, which is a longer-term average measure of latency.  So keep that in mind in considering whether you need to worry about the red dot.  To me, a jitter value of 1.5ms would probably be interpreted as your latency varying between 6 to 8 ms during a self session.  In terms of absolute time, that's not much difference, and is acceptable, possibly not even noticeable to you.  Now, when jamming with others who also have jitter, and including variability in Internet transit times (Internet jitter), the combined variability could be something like 20ms latency, plus or minus 8ms from one second to the next.  As that combined jitter grows it becomes more distracting as jamming becomes sloppy due to those rapid changes in latency between players.  Hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback as to the nature and risks caused by jitter. I appreciate your understanding and you explanation makes sense. Any Ideas on eliminating it?
(04-16-2020, 06:18 PM)Hittin it Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 02:19 PM)blandis Wrote: In my experience, the jitter indicators turn red when the short-term variation in latency (which is my interpretation of jitter) changes by more than 25% of the reported latency value, which is a longer-term average measure of latency.  So keep that in mind in considering whether you need to worry about the red dot.  To me, a jitter value of 1.5ms would probably be interpreted as your latency varying between 6 to 8 ms during a self session.  In terms of absolute time, that's not much difference, and is acceptable, possibly not even noticeable to you.  Now, when jamming with others who also have jitter, and including variability in Internet transit times (Internet jitter), the combined variability could be something like 20ms latency, plus or minus 8ms from one second to the next.  As that combined jitter grows it becomes more distracting as jamming becomes sloppy due to those rapid changes in latency between players.  Hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback as to the nature and risks caused by jitter. I appreciate your understanding and you explanation makes sense. Any Ideas on eliminating it?
Nothing we could do on our side methinks... Probably the way JK interacts with CoreAudio or ASIO? Not an expert so throwing assumptions.
Got it: Live with it.