• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zoom R24 & Windows 10 - Latency Issues
Hopefully someone can help me - I have a Zoom R24 that I use for recording with Adobe Audition on my Windows 10 Core i7 box. Never had latency issues with recording & playback. JamKazam tells me my latency is much too high to work with JamKazam. I notice that my R24 in interface mode says it is sampling at 96.0 Khz - I'm assuming that the issue is too high a sample rate.

When I go to Zoom and attempt to change the sample rate, I'm told that I can change that from within whatever DAW software I'm using - however, I'm not using any DAW software - just JamKazam. In the Windows system it says my sampling rate is 44.1 Khz - and that cannot be changed from within the Windows 10 environment.

Any assistance appreciated!

Thanks,
J.Mirow
OK, I've found a way to force the Zoom R24 to 44.1 Khz - BUT JamKazam will still not work with this device. If anyone had found a way to make a Zoom r24 work - I'd love to hear about it - I have to bring in two mics & two guitar inputs, so a DAW device is a must.

Thanks,
J.Mirow
hi Jock,
I have a Zoom B2.1u for my bass. When I connect it by USB it is automatically recognised by Windows 10 and installed with a WMD driver with minimal tweaks possible. Latency in a solo test session shows red as 20ms, problems with WMD driver (orange) and frame rate 10 (red). I can reduce frame rate in the JK 'manage>audio settings>audio booster' but that increases jitter to red. I tried an ASIO driver from Zoom which was recognised and installed OK but JK crashes when testing.
Now the point of my reply - I downloaded and installed ASIO4all driver and got a lot more control in the JK 'new gear' selection. Playing with it I now have latency at 6ms driver shows green, frame rate is 2.5 and jitter is green. So far OK but still get variation on above each time I start JK, still experimenting. Hope this helps.

Update - although this looked good when I tried a solo test record I couldn't hear my bass (or the chat mic, but I couldn't record that before even though the record chat option is selected). When I tried it in a test session with my mates they couldn't hear me either - so back to the WDM driver (at least they can hear me even if there is a delay). Got a Steinberg audio interface on order - try that next week.
Colin -

Thanks for your reply - I think the problem that I'm having is that the r24 is actually a 24 track recorder. Your device is a bass effects pedal and interface (unless I'm mistaken) which is a lot simpler deal. I've been able to "force" the R24 to 44.1 in both input and output on Windows, but when I fire up JamKazam it (the sample rate indicated on the Zoom r24 screen) goes to 48.0 Khz. Then JamKazam throws a bunch of messages about varying sample rates - but truth be told - they slide out of the side of my monitor screen and when I try to click on them they disappear, so I can't ever actually read the entire message. Frustrating - but thanks for your help.
Asio4all would be worth a try. This is a driver presenting WDM as an Asio driver...
Hi, I have a Zoom R24 on a Macbook Pro 2011 running on OS Yosemite (not Windows 10, I know, but the changes below may help).
R24 is recognized by Jamkazam but latency was not good. After many tries, I found the following:

1. Sampling rate at 44.1 actually gives you poorer latency, counter intuitive to Jamkazam's instruction. When connecting the R24 to the PC with USB cable only (no power source), I couldn't change it, it would show 44.1 on the display. However when connecting it also using the power source, it showed 96.0.

2. When setting up the interface on Jamkazam, don't select input and output to use the R24. Select R24 for Input, but build-in output for output. This improves latency by almost 10ms. Only downside is that you'll have to plug in your headphones to your computer.

All of these changes reduced latency from 24 ms to 13 ms. Last week, at around 18ms, we got great sound between our band, all within 5 miles of each other in the Boston area, but we couldn't jam, latency was an issue. Will try again this week, asking all other band members to do the try 1 and 2 also.

My general concern is that using the formula they show, the only way to get decent experience is to almost be down to 10ms... and I don't want to buy any new equipment or pay for more internet speed...

What's curious is that wifi or wired made no difference.... I have a municipal network provider, fiberoptic cable + wifi... 35Mbps upload and download speed, so guess that helps.
Did you try turning off video while jamming? Saves bandwidth.

Col
Thanks, martinpadilla76! I've moved the Zoom R24 to the "Confirmed working" section of the list of audio interfaces with this info.
Kevin
(04-19-2020, 07:28 AM)Colin.Bryant Wrote: Did you try turning off video while jamming? Saves bandwidth.

Col
Yes, you're right, forgot to mention that... it's the first thing I did.
(04-14-2020, 06:17 PM)Jock Mirow Wrote: Hopefully someone can help me - I have a Zoom R24 that I use for recording with Adobe Audition on my Windows 10 Core i7 box. Never had latency issues with recording & playback. JamKazam tells me my latency is much too high to work with JamKazam. I notice that my R24 in interface mode says it is sampling at 96.0 Khz - I'm assuming that the issue is too high a sample rate.

When I go to Zoom and attempt to change the sample rate, I'm told that I can change that from within whatever DAW software I'm using - however, I'm not using any DAW software - just JamKazam. In the Windows system it says my sampling rate is 44.1 Khz - and that cannot be changed from within the Windows 10 environment.

Any assistance appreciated!

Thanks,
J.Mirow
there has to be something in the JK app software because i used to be able to use it with no problem, and this is not just with my two R24 but also my M-Audio mTrack and Edirol interface.  The latency on the R24 is so ridiculous high it does not make sense, the mTrack has really high latency but not as bad as the R24, and the Edirol has best latency but just above the threshold which is still to high.  and just to give you an idea of how bad it is for me this is my R24 latency when i tried today using ASIO... 44,739,244 ms. but using WDM gives me... 25.67 ms

all in all, no of my ASIO interfaces work well with JamKazam but work just fine with DAWs and ninjam servers via jammr, jamtaba and Reaper, even on soundjack.eu 

I hope an update can fix this issues because i really have enjoyed JK over the years

oh and i forgot to mention how asio4all did not help much..