• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is Frame Size?
Please could someone explain what frame size means. Is it different to buffer size in the ASIO control panel. I find I need to set Frame Size to the minimum of 2.5 to get acceptable latency. Is there any disadvantage to a small frame size?
My guess, having spent a few hour playing with this, see my other thread, is that the FameSize is to do with the transmission of the audio over the network, as opposed to the ASIO buffer size with is the connection from your interface to the application.
Seems to be something along those lines.  Basically, the lower the setting the better for playing with other people (much like a buffer setting).  The catch is that your system may not work well at the lowest settings (1 and 2).  One person I play with has much better results at a setting of 1.  I can not use anything lower than 2.5 without having issues.  When I go higher (10 for example) it is very difficult for me and the drummer to play together.  Just my experiences, don't have any official knowledge.  Just set it as low as you can without having issues.  Hope this helps.
Small update. After playing around with these settings again last night I have been able to determine that they have a direct affect on your audio interface latency. Whatever the change in Audio Frame Size that you select, expect to see a change of 2x the difference from where it was set before the change. I assume this is because it is audio in and audio out (the frame size number is for one way, so it must get doubled for a round trip). Here are a few examples:

1) If you were on the default setting of 2.5ms and change to 2.0ms the difference is 0.5ms. 0.5 x 2 = 1.0. So you should see you interface latency decrease by 1ms.

2) If you were on the default setting of 2.5ms and change to 5.0ms the difference is 2.5ms. 2.5 x 2 = 5.0. So you should see you interface latency increase by 5ms.

3) Best case is going from default (2.5) to 1.0. This is a change of 1.5 x 2 = 3.0 so you would shave off 3ms from your interface latency (assuming your system can handle it.)

You will know if there is an issue at lower settings because you will get clicks and other audible issues.
how do i adjust the frame size? thanks, a newbie
Cliff Huh
Manage (in the JK menu bar) -> Audio Settings -> Audio Booster. It’s on that menu, but grayed out unless you’re in a session.
I don't find an Audio Booster option when I click on Audio Settings. My frame size keeps showing up as 10 ms -- any other place I can go to fix it? I am using a Focusrite Scarlett solo input but can't find any options on that either.

(05-13-2020, 12:16 AM)acinva@gmail.com Wrote: I finally found the Audio Booster option -- you have to click on "Manage" at the top left part of the screen and that gives you the Audio Settings option so you can get to Audio Booster.. 
(05-13-2020, 12:16 AM)acinva@gmail.com Wrote: I don't find an Audio Booster option when I click on Audio Settings. My frame size keeps showing up as 10 ms -- any other place I can go to fix it? I am using a Focusrite Scarlett solo input but can't find any options on that either.

(05-13-2020, 12:16 AM)acinva@gmail.com Wrote: I finally found the Audio Booster option -- you have to click on "Manage" at the top left part of the screen and that gives you the Audio Settings option so you can get to Audio Booster.. 
Can you post a screenshot of the Manage button or link? I may be being dumb but I can't see it anywhere!
(05-15-2020, 03:29 PM)mark@butterill.plus.com Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 12:16 AM)acinva@gmail.com Wrote: I don't find an Audio Booster option when I click on Audio Settings. My frame size keeps showing up as 10 ms -- any other place I can go to fix it? I am using a Focusrite Scarlett solo input but can't find any options on that either.

Can you post a screenshot of the Manage button or link? I may be being dumb but I can't see it anywhere!
I found the Manage menu after I updated to Build 1.20 - "1.0.3674" of the Mac client app.
It's at the top left of the screen: Apple, JamKazam, Manage.
Then you can choose Manage > Audio Settings > Audio Booster
The Audio Booster controls are only active when you're in a a session (thanks for that tip, @mardeth).
With a setting of 2.5ms I get unbearable distortion which I can only eliminate by increasing FS to 10ms at the expense of latency. Is there any other parameter which I can change to compensate for having a higher framesize?