• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency Improvement?
I am using a Scarlett 2i2 into a 2012 Macbook Air running OS 10.12 with a Thunderbolt adapter/ethernet connection.  My interface latency is 10.3ms and I cannot figure out any way to improve this.  My interface sample rate is synched at 48000 and my router download speed is 190.5mbps (this test was run on my Xfinity account page - I have, for some reason been unable to test my network speed on JKZ).  Any ideas would be appreciated!
(04-12-2020, 08:21 PM)Jballentine Wrote: I am using a Scarlett 2i2 into a 2012 Macbook Air running OS 10.12 with a Thunderbolt adapter/ethernet connection.  My interface latency is 10.3ms and I cannot figure out any way to improve this.  My interface sample rate is synched at 48000 and my router download speed is 190.5mbps (this test was run on my Xfinity account page - I have, for some reason been unable to test my network speed on JKZ).  Any ideas would be appreciated!
Have you tried to lower your "Frame Size" ??  
Manage / Audio Settings / Audio Booster / Audio Framesize 1ms or 2 ms..

HTH,~JB
(04-12-2020, 08:34 PM)jbuecker Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 08:21 PM)Jballentine Wrote: I am using a Scarlett 2i2 into a 2012 Macbook Air running OS 10.12 with a Thunderbolt adapter/ethernet connection.  My interface latency is 10.3ms and I cannot figure out any way to improve this.  My interface sample rate is synched at 48000 and my router download speed is 190.5mbps (this test was run on my Xfinity account page - I have, for some reason been unable to test my network speed on JKZ).  Any ideas would be appreciated!

HTH,~JB

Thanks for the quick reply.  When I go on Audio Boost, the Frame Size box is empty and grayed out.  The buttons "Audio Throttle Bitrate" and "Media Stream" in the Outgoing Audio Bitrate section are checked.  I tried unchecking them but the Frame Size box remained grayed out.  The Maximum Outgoing Bitrate is grayed out but shows 320kbit/s.
(04-12-2020, 08:44 PM)Jballentine Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 08:34 PM)jbuecker Wrote:

HTH,~JB

Thanks for the quick reply.  When I go on Audio Boost, the Frame Size box is empty and grayed out.  The buttons "Audio Throttle Bitrate" and "Media Stream" in the Outgoing Audio Bitrate section are checked.  I tried unchecking them but the Frame Size box remained grayed out.  The Maximum Outgoing Bitrate is grayed out but shows 320kbit/s.
Ah yes; You need to adjust that while in a session... create a test quick solo session, then try again... the setting used here will remain intact for future sessions.
HTH,~JB
Thanks!  I set the Frame Size to 1.0 and the latency improved to 7.3.  I see that the word experimental appears next to the selection.  Are there side-effects or other uncertainties that you are aware of?

Also, I have two jam partners who have achieved zero interface latency (using windows).  Should that be the goal to strive for?
When I install my Scarlett Solo on my MacBook I get 10.3 ms latency. On my Windows 10 machine I get 0.0ms and low jitter. I think it is the CoreAudio usb driver you are forced to use on the Mac versus the dedicated Focusrite ASIO usb driver on W10.
Exclamation ...Let's Abolish Latency... Exclamation
(04-12-2020, 10:40 PM)TProch Wrote:
When I install my Scarlett Solo on my MacBook I get 10.3 ms latency. On my Windows 10 machine I get 0.0ms and low jitter. I think it is the CoreAudio usb driver you are forced to use on the Mac versus the dedicated Focusrite ASIO usb driver on W10.

Very interesting!  Thank you.
If you have second gen Scarlett, here is a link to my OneDrive (link no longer works at Focusrite). This is a kext allowing MacOS lower latency instead of using generic USB kext.

I use it for my two Focusrite USB interfaces on Mojave.

BTW, how JamKazam reports latency could be argued: My Roland Octacapture could have Round Trip Latency of 5ms with CoreAudio buffer of 48 in Reaper but the lowest JamKazam would report is 7.5ms...

**EDIT: Still available in German?? Go figure:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de/arti...verbessern-

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de/arti..._1.1.7.dmg
(04-13-2020, 04:13 AM)Patrice Brousseau Wrote: If you have second gen Scarlett, here is a link to my OneDrive (link no longer works at Focusrite). This is a kext allowing MacOS lower latency instead of using generic USB kext.

I use it for my two Focusrite USB interfaces on Mojave.

Thank you for this Patrice.  I'm not sure I really understand your suggestion (forgive me, I am not too tech savvy) I had not heard of a kext before and after looking it up I see it is some kind of OS enhancement.  Is it your belief that this enhancement can overcome the latency issue with the CoreAudio USB?  And do you know if this enhancement is compatible with my 10.12 OS?  Also, I have a 3rd gen product.  Does that preclude your suggested approach or is there potentially a similar solution?
Much appreciated.

BTW, how JamKazam reports latency could be argued: My Roland Octacapture could have Round Trip Latency of 5ms with CoreAudio buffer of 48 in Reaper but the lowest JamKazam would report is 7.5ms...

**EDIT: Still available in German?? Go figure:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de/arti...verbessern-

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de/arti..._1.1.7.dmg
Translation: (yes, they talk about 2nd gen but I think the original article mentioned also Clarett and 3rd gen Scarletts). There is an uninstaller in the package if it doesn't work. Should work I think.)

How can I improve the latency of my Scarlett 2nd generation interface on Mac?

vor 2 Jahren Updated

This article applies to: Scarlett 2nd Generation

We have developed a small additional app that enables Mac users to improve the roundtrip latency of their Scarlett 2nd generation interface to 1ms (this specification depends on the respective system). The app cannot be installed on Windows PCs.

The Scarlett (2nd) Low Latency Installer installs an additional file that reduces the latency of the Apple Core Audio driver. After running the installer as well as after deleting it is necessary to restart the system.

Please note that small buffer sizes can increase the processing power of your processor and this can lead to problems with audio performance.

If you want to delete the Low Latency Installer from your Mac, please do the following:

Mac HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> Scarlett2ndGen.kext

Then empty the trash and restart the system.

Please note that the Low Latency Installer does not work with the Scarlett interfaces of the first generation and that proper operation is therefore not possible under certain circumstances.

As is now, you are running with the generic USB audio stack of MacOS, thus higher latencies.