• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limited number of participants?
Hi. Does jamkazam has an adminstrational or technical limitation in numbers of participants? I want to set-up a choir rehearsal with about 20 singers. Thx, Chris
I would also like to know if JamKazam limits number of participants?  I have a 24-piece jazz band and would like to know if we could rehearse together via JamKazam.
Hi Chris and Vera, I am a new user (2 sessions). Last night we were moderately successful with a quartet singing - 2 in BC Canada, one in Boston, one in LA. The latency was high 50 - 100. It worked for singing short tags, but a longer song just kept slowing down due to the time delay.
It seemed that adding an additional singer increased the overall latency. I don't know if Jamkazam has a limit to the number of singers, but it looks like the latency issue will limit you to 4-5. There is a YouTube video on networking with JamKazam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r1py0AYJ4Y It describes the "Network test" function (which is not working at the moment). If the test was working, it would indicate your overall latency and suggest how many users could be on at the same time. The Youtube demo indicated a max of 5 users. I was hoping to use it with our Barbershop Chorus of 12 singers, but at the moment that doesn't look possible. I have heard of folks jamming together successfully - perhaps someone else has more info on possible numbers.
12-24 piece groups are not possible on JK as of yet.
(03-29-2020, 09:43 PM)mabalot Wrote: 12-24 piece groups are not possible on JK as of yet.
How much users can join in one session? Is there an limit?
Thx for answering
(04-01-2020, 01:57 PM)Suedseele Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 09:43 PM)mabalot Wrote: 12-24 piece groups are not possible on JK as of yet.
How much users can join in one session? Is there an limit?
Thx for answering
8 is a pretty standard number, I've been in one with 10. Your biggest issue will be getting that many people setup. Using standard windows audio will have to much latency for an effective rehearsal. Even if all your vocalist had an audio interface, the latency will pose a problem.
I have experienced 8 to 10 in a session, but it doesn't work very well.  That seemed to be because so many were so physically far from each other. Theoretically, if there is no hard-coded limit, it should work much better if everyone is in the same city and you might be able to get more than 8-10.  However, a far bigger problem will be getting everyone setup and working. You might need some rules, such as 'no WDM drivers' and 'no WiFi', and maybe 'no audio frame sizes above 2.5 ms'. All you need is one member running WDM, and all bets are off, even with two people in a session.
(03-29-2020, 09:14 PM)JiminSalmonArm Wrote: Hi Chris and Vera, I am a new user (2 sessions).  Last night we were moderately successful with a quartet singing - 2 in BC Canada, one in Boston, one in LA.  The latency was high 50 - 100.  It worked for singing short tags, but a longer song just kept slowing down due to the time delay.
We attempted our first quartet rehearsal with no success. We could tell there was much less latency than using zoom or a phone call, but it was still hard to keep together.  We all live in the same metropolitan area and 3 of us even have the same ISP. At most, we could duet. But it took a ton of concentration. As you mentioned earlier, we were only able to get in a slow, short tag.

Since your most recent post, have you found any solutions or have any recommendations?
I have never heard of a connection that can support more than 8 in a session.

If 8 is the maximum that a connection can support - then the maximum in a session is 8, of course.

And ALL those 8 must have a connection that support 8.

Maybe some connections can support for example 16 or 32 - who knows?

But it will still require that all the other 15 or 31 also can do the same.

I have NEVER been in a session with more than 8 that actually sounded well - for more than a few seconds.

9 = unpleasant
10 = awful
11 = disguisting
12 = where is the leave button?
13 = I can not breathe
14 = tell them I love them
15 = ???
(04-14-2020, 04:27 AM)ScottWinAZ Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 09:14 PM)JiminSalmonArm Wrote: Hi Chris and Vera, I am a new user (2 sessions).  Last night we were moderately successful with a quartet singing - 2 in BC Canada, one in Boston, one in LA.  The latency was high 50 - 100.  It worked for singing short tags, but a longer song just kept slowing down due to the time delay.
We attempted our first quartet rehearsal with no success. We could tell there was much less latency than using zoom or a phone call, but it was still hard to keep together.  We all live in the same metropolitan area and 3 of us even have the same ISP. At most, we could duet. But it took a ton of concentration. As you mentioned earlier, we were only able to get in a slow, short tag.

Since your most recent post, have you found any solutions or have any recommendations?
Hi Scott - sorry for the delay in replying - maybe you have already figured this out.  We have been working with the same group of 3 now - twice a week for 4 weeks.  Tonight was our best ever.  One in Boston, two in BC, Canada  - 3 hr time difference - 50 msec total latency.  We now have 4 songs to a reasonable performance level.  It is a HUGE learning curve just to listen with headphones and sing in the mic without being in the same room - that was 50% of the problem.  The second issue is learning to work with the latency - 50msec is noticeable but there is a work around.  We start our song with one person doing a count in, so each person can tap their foot to keep their own internal metronome going  (the builtin metronome just didn't work for us at all).  Then each person sings in time with their own foot tap.  Do NOT wait to hear the other person start - just start on your foot tap.  There will be some very small variation in when the other singers start a phrase, as heard in your own earphones - but if you keep in time with your own toe tap, overall the song will not slow down.
In my headphones, I hear that I start my notes just a fraction of a second (50 msec ?) before the others.  (If you wait to hear the other start - and then they wait for you - the song slowly drags to a halt Smile  )  The next challenge is the inherent issue with a cappella singing - monitoring your own pitch to make the chord sound good.  Tonight was the first time I was really able to do this - and this skill is independent of the latency issue - so JamKazam  is a great way to practice this!   So this is one report that a trio (and probably a quartet) can really work well.   Keep at it . Good luck.  - Jim