• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMC202HD and Mac OS 10.13.6

515/5000

Hello. I wanted to ask if anyone uses the Behringer UMC202HD with a MAC with OS 10.13.6. I have a 21.5" mid 2011 iMac and the latency does not drop below 10.3 ms. To be sure my Bheringer works fine I connected it to a PC with WIN10 and after installing its drivers the latency is 4.13 ms.
In the UMC202HD manual it is written that drivers must not be installed with the MAC because the "CORE AUDIO" drivers of the MAC are fine. I am afraid, however, that they refer to the latest OS versions that I cannot install in my too old iMac. 
Thanks .
You should be safe.

It should work fully on all versions of Mac OS. At least, it sound so ...

Behringer UMC Audio Interface Setup Guide:

"A driver isn’t necessary on a Mac OS because Behringer interfaces are class compliant and do not need additional software to connect."

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art...tup-guide/
If you successfully install the Behringer Mac drivers, I'd like to know if you can adjust down latency. It seems like the Mac Core Audio driver allows JamKazam to adjust the sample rate but not the buffer size. I only see a drop down box in the interface setup for sample rate. There is no drop down menu to select the buffer size, like what I see in the Win 10 ASIO video. I'm guessing that it is choosing a high buffer size on Mac so that I get 8ms interface delay. The rest of my band is getting about 4ms on their Win 10 systems (one of them has the UMC202HD).
I have two interfaces that are measuring very fast in Round Trip Latency testing (Apogee Duet gets 2.8ms at 96KHz and 16 samples buffer, Apollo Twin gets 2.6ms at 192KHz and 64 buffer). Can't get that in JK. If the UMC202HD has a custom driver that does allow buffer size adjustments, I'd consider buying one.
(04-12-2020, 06:59 AM)DC1 Wrote: If you successfully install the Behringer Mac drivers, I'd like to know if you can adjust down latency.  It seems like the Mac Core Audio driver allows JamKazam to adjust the sample rate but not the buffer size.  I only see a drop down box in the interface setup for sample rate.  There is no drop down menu to select the buffer size, like what I see in the Win 10 ASIO video.  I'm guessing that it is choosing a high buffer size on Mac so that I get 8ms interface delay.  The rest of my band is getting about 4ms on their Win 10 systems (one of them has the UMC202HD). 
I have two interfaces that are measuring very fast in Round Trip Latency testing (Apogee Duet gets 2.8ms at 96KHz and 16 samples buffer, Apollo Twin gets 2.6ms at 192KHz and 64 buffer).  Can't get that in JK.  If the UMC202HD has a custom driver that does allow buffer size adjustments, I'd consider buying one.

>>>
IMHO there is no such thing as "Mac drivers" for Behringer (or any interface). It is all handled by coreaudio. (maybe not very well but it is what it is ...)
(04-12-2020, 10:36 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 06:59 AM)DC1 Wrote: If you successfully install the Behringer Mac drivers, I'd like to know if you can adjust down latency.  It seems like the Mac Core Audio driver allows JamKazam to adjust the sample rate but not the buffer size.  I only see a drop down box in the interface setup for sample rate.  There is no drop down menu to select the buffer size, like what I see in the Win 10 ASIO video.  I'm guessing that it is choosing a high buffer size on Mac so that I get 8ms interface delay.  The rest of my band is getting about 4ms on their Win 10 systems (one of them has the UMC202HD). 
I have two interfaces that are measuring very fast in Round Trip Latency testing (Apogee Duet gets 2.8ms at 96KHz and 16 samples buffer, Apollo Twin gets 2.6ms at 192KHz and 64 buffer).  Can't get that in JK.  If the UMC202HD has a custom driver that does allow buffer size adjustments, I'd consider buying one.

>>>
IMHO there is no such thing as "Mac drivers" for Behringer (or any interface). It is all handled by coreaudio. (maybe not very well but it is what it is ...)

It looks like there are a lot of downloads for Mac and Windows on this site.  https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UMC202HD/p/P0BJZ/Downloads#googtrans(en|en)

L
et us know how you make out.  I justed got the UMC204HD unit (two more outputs) for Mac, and I'm still learning how to use the thing.  My band mate got the 202 unit for Windows, and he's trying to come up to speed as well.
Pls do not mix-up 'software' (programs/apps) and 'drivers'.
Two completely different animals with different functions all together.
There are no drivers for macOS/OSX.
Dimitri wrote: IMHO there is no such thing as "Mac drivers" for Behringer (or any interface). It is all handled by coreaudio. (maybe not very well but it is what it is ...)

Thinking about it more, even if there are "Behringer drivers", they would be optimized for the hardware into the Core Audio backbone. It probably would not change how the JamKazam application gets data from the Core Audio. Existence of "drivers" or not, problem will still exist, I can't choose the sample rate at the audio interface setup window. Maybe I'm wrong about this, hopefully I'm wrong.

It's weird that in a JK session window, if you hover over your status light, there is something called "Gear Driver" that lists Core Audio. That implies that you can change it. Might not be true. Could just be from the application ported from Windows to Mac. I could see where it would be useful in Windows (if you had latency issues and this showed WDM instead of ASIO drivers, you could fix it). Not so useful in Mac if you have a choice of 1.

I can get my latency down by adjusting the sample rate up to 96K (in both JK and external software controls), then within a session, go to the top menu Manage, Audio Settings, Audio Booster, and setting the Audio FrameSize to 1ms experimental. I don't know if this is messing with stability, or if FrameSize is the same thing as sampling buffer size. Is it the hardware holding samples before sending it to the Mac computer (USB timing), or is it JK holding data before sending it out on the network (Ethernet timing)? I am still not down at Windows ASIO latency times or the measured latency in the Round Trip Latency tests I ran on the Mac.
(04-12-2020, 01:10 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: Pls do not mix-up 'software' (programs/apps) and 'drivers'.
Two completely different animals with different functions all together.
There are no drivers for macOS/OSX.
Dimitri , 
I appreciate all your help you give others .......
But just wanted to correct you on this one....
There are certainly Drivers for MAC OS for different type os audio interfaces....Some interfaces rely on the standard CORE AUDIO, while others Do indeed have Drivers to be installed under Mac OS.... for example the Scarlett series by focusrite works with CORE AUDIO, but they also make an improved latency "DRIVER" for mc, that does indeed improver Performance.  
Thanks again, for all your efforts in helping out folks!

From one Mac IT to another , :-)
~JB
@Gio Bell. Thank you for posting this. It just so happens I was helping a friend get setup for the first time on Jk and he has this same model interface. And yes, we noticed the same AI Latency. Most of the time he shows Yellow for his AI. And we too discovered there are no Mac drivers, just the core audio. Given this Interface is older, we will see how it goes and if needed maybe purchase a more current one. Your post serves as a reality check. Thanks
(04-08-2020, 09:31 PM)Gio Bell Wrote:
515/5000

Hello. I wanted to ask if anyone uses the Behringer UMC202HD with a MAC with OS 10.13.6. I have a 21.5" mid 2011 iMac and the latency does not drop below 10.3 ms. To be sure my Bheringer works fine I connected it to a PC with WIN10 and after installing its drivers the latency is 4.13 ms.
In the UMC202HD manual it is written that drivers must not be installed with the MAC because the "CORE AUDIO" drivers of the MAC are fine. I am afraid, however, that they refer to the latest OS versions that I cannot install in my too old iMac. 
Thanks .
Yes, same here. I'm using a MacBook Air and the Behringer UMC202HD. Latency is always 10.3 ms. No problems and in sync with the friends I play with.