• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M-Audio Fast Track on Mac
Has anyone had success using an M-Audio Fast Track as an audio interface on a Mac?  I am on macOS Catalina 10.15.3.

I first tried routing my Mic and Guitar inputs through the Fast Track, then GarageBand, then Jamkazam.  I had to do some loop back type tricks with Soundflower, but I thought I set it up properly.  What I got out of Jamkazam was a huge delay (it felt like at least a second) in both the guitar and the Mic inputs.

I then tried going straight from the Fast Track into Jamkazam to rule out any added latency from Garageband or Soundflower, but I still had terrible delay results! 

Will the M-Audio Fast track work with Jamkazam on Mac, or do I need to buy a different interface?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sometimes it helps to update your interface drivers, perhaps with the manufacturers latest update (if thats available for mac). It did help a lot for Windows users I know. Though I myself use the default Core Audio driver, with an interface latency of 12.5ms.
(04-08-2020, 08:19 AM)AnneZw Wrote: Sometimes it helps to update your interface drivers, perhaps with the manufacturers latest update (if thats available for mac). It did help a lot for Windows users I know. Though I myself use the default Core Audio driver, with an interface latency of 12.5ms.

AnneZw,

Thanks for the thought.  I don't remember ever having to install drivers on the Mac years ago when I bought the Fast Track - it just worked.  I did a search and discovered that a different vendor (Avid) had drivers.  Unfortunately, the Avid Knowledge Base page for Fast track indicates that the last driver release was in September  of 2013.  They also say this is the final release, and "Note that MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified.  I'm at version 10.15.3, so it won't work for me.

I must admit I'm bummed out and surprised.  I had been using the Fast Track with Garage band and didn't notice any issues until I tried to use it with JamKazam.  Hopefully this post and the information I provided will help someone out.  I'm going to look at a Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD USN interface instead.
(04-08-2020, 01:23 AM)Hi Marty,I attempted to use a Fast Track with my MacBook Pro and had terrible results. Lot of distortion and noise in mic channels, sounded almost overdriven but levels were quite normal on meters. Same thing when trying to use the M-audio with another recording application (Audio HiJack). Looking on the Avid M-Audio web pages for driver updates, I saw they unequivocally state that the FastTrack is not compatible with MacOS newer than (I believe it was ) 10.11. That cuts me out of the running under 10.13.6, and of course also Catalina if I ever try to go there. Also encountered extreme latency, of close to .5 sec. Useless. It appears that Avid has totally abandoned this product. My Zoom H6 recorder works pretty well with JamKazam, around 12.5 ms latency, and sounds excellent , despite my inability to perform network tests.  Wired ethernet is fine for me, WiFi, not so much. Wrote: -Videoterry

MartyHas anyone had success using an M-Audio Fast Track as an audio interface on a Mac?  I am on macOS Catalina 10.15.3.

I first tried routing my Mic and Guitar inputs through the Fast Track, then GarageBand, then Jamkazam.  I had to do some loop back type tricks with Soundflower, but I thought I set it up properly.  What I got out of Jamkazam was a huge delay (it felt like at least a second) in both the guitar and the Mic inputs.

I then tried going straight from the Fast Track into Jamkazam to rule out any added latency from Garageband or Soundflower, but I still had terrible delay results! 

Will the M-Audio Fast track work with Jamkazam on Mac, or do I need to buy a different interface?

(04-09-2020, 12:57 AM)videoterry Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 01:23 AM)Hi Marty,I attempted to use a Fast Track with my MacBook Pro and had terrible results. Lot of distortion and noise in mic channels, sounded almost overdriven but levels were quite normal on meters. Same thing when trying to use the M-audio with another recording application (Audio HiJack). Looking on the Avid M-Audio web pages for driver updates, I saw they unequivocally state that the FastTrack is not compatible with MacOS newer than (I believe it was ) 10.11. That cuts me out of the running under 10.13.6, and of course also Catalina if I ever try to go there. Also encountered extreme latency, of close to .5 sec. Useless. It appears that Avid has totally abandoned this product.  My Zoom H6 recorder works pretty well with JamKazam, around 12.5 ms latency, and sounds excellent  , despite my inability to perform network tests.   Wired ethernet is fine for me, WiFi, not so much. Wrote: -Videoterry

MartyHas anyone had success using an M-Audio Fast Track as an audio interface on a Mac?  I am on macOS Catalina 10.15.3.

Videoterry,  Thank you for taking the time to provide input and confirm my experiences.
(04-08-2020, 01:23 AM)Marty Wrote: I literally just set up my old M-Audio Fast Track with Mojave and was wondering about Catalina. However, getting Fast Track to work proved to be a real pain and after much trial and error, I got it to work properly. Below is my sequence of events that got it working

To summarize:

*NOTE: make sure JamKazam is closed but Fast Track is plugged in

On Fast Track: Both silver buttons not pressed in (Important) and make sure only the right most volume is turned up. The other two must be all the way down or else you'll get static.
On Mac-System Preferences/Accessibility Options/Audio: Play Stereo Audio As Mono: Check this box
On Mac-System Preferences/Sound: Set Fast Track as default input.
In JamKazam: Input: Select Default Input (NOT Fast Track) for Output: Select whatever you wish to use
Click the rest of the way and while doing this testing etc, ignore the audio if you only hear sound out of one side because when the tests complete, the sound should be correct. This should give you the ability to use it. 

My understanding is this should work in Catalina too since the audio works the same.

Good Luck!
Can anybody help me to configure M AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO on a PC on Windows 10 tu get it working properly on JAMKAZAM? Thanks !
(02-07-2021, 02:54 PM)Patrick Lemieux Wrote: Can anybody help me to configure M AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO on a PC on Windows 10 tu get it working properly on JAMKAZAM? Thanks !

>>>
What exactly is not working for you?
(02-07-2021, 05:05 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 02:54 PM)Patrick Lemieux Wrote: Can anybody help me to configure M AUDIO FAST TRACK PRO on a PC on Windows 10 tu get it working properly on JAMKAZAM? Thanks !

>>>

Can’t get the ASIO FOR ALL driver to work with it. Gatto go VMD and it’s not very good for latency.
(02-07-2021, 07:13 PM)Patrick Lemieux Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 05:05 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:

>>>

Can’t get the ASIO FOR ALL driver to work with it. Gatto go VMD and it’s not very good for latency.

>>>
If I'm not mistaking there is a dedicated (older) driver for this AI
Have you tried that?