• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's how to get your WAVES plugins to work
I was a bit taken back when I started using the app and discovered that the WAVES plugins were not being recognized. I refused to give up and found a solution for getting these to work. Buckle up, because this procedure is somewhat complex. However, I believe most of your waves plugins will work if you use this.

** CAUTION ** 
One of the steps requires you to download a file from an independent developer on the interwebs. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am not the author and not responsible for any potential consequences. If it helps, I ran it on my system and have noticed no negative issues.

This procedure was tested on Windows 10! This is not likely to run on Mac unless you know how to run Windows compiled binaries on OSX.

When using JamKazam, you may disappointed that your favorite VST plugins just aren’t being found. This is particularly evident with WAVES VST plugins. I found a method that can be used to install most WAVES plugins. The following was tested on Windows 10 and will not work on Mac, unless you can find another way to use one of the windows programs required in this instruction set. To get started, simply follow these steps.

How To Install

Make sure the 32-bit versions of the WAVES plugins are installed!

Find the install directory

This is vital, because JamKazam does not support 64-bit VST plugins. Therefore, you MUST install 32-bit versions of the plugins. You should be able to find a legacy installer on the WAVES website to get these. Download the legacy installer and install the 32-bit plugins.

To check if you already have them installed, open up the directory where WAVES installed your plugins. If you’re not sure where this is, it should be located in the following location:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves

If the following directory doesn’t exist, then check in the same path on any other drive letters you might have. If you’re still not finding it, re-install your Waves software and take note of the path where it’s installing.

Find the 32-bit waveshell file

Once you find the directory, you need to find the 32-bit version of the WAVES waveshell file. This should be called something in the format of:

Code:
WaveShell-VST x.x.dll

If for some reason can't find the file, check in the directory:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\WaveShells

The “x.x” are substitutes, you will not find that specific file! On my install, the actual filename is WaveShell-VST 9.2.dll. Your’s may have differing version numbers.

It’s important that the filename does not have the _x64 at the end of it, this means it’s a 64-bit version and won’t work.

Extract The Waveshell

Continue these steps at your own risk! It requires downloading and running software from an independent developer using administrator privileges.

The reason WAVES plugins don’t just magically show up in JamKazam is because WAVES packs all of their individual VST files into one single file they call the “Waveshell”. JamKazam doesn’t seem to know how to work with this file, so we have to extract all the individual VST files out of it. Fortunately, an independent developer has created a small software program to do this.

Download the Waveshell extractor

Download from the link here:

[color=var(--ds-link, #0052CC)]http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip[/color]

Once downloaded, unzip this file and take note of where the files were unzipped to. You’ll need to navigate to this folder in the next steps.

Open a command shell as administrator

1. Click windows start menu

2. Type cmd

3. At the top of the start, under Best Match, right click on the item underneath Command Prompt and a menu should popup

4. Select Run as administrator

Navigate to the downloaded file shell2vst

In the command prompt, navigate to the directory where you downloaded and extracted the zip file downloaded before:

Code:
cd C:\path\to\shell2vst\files

An easy way to do this is to go to file explorer, find the folder the program is in, then press $ft+right-click. A menu will popup and select Copy as path. Go back to the cmd window and paste in the path by right-clicking, after the cd.

Run the program to extract the VST files

Run the following command to start extracting. When running, the only argument is the path to your waeshell file:

Code:
shell2vst.exe "C:\path\to\WaveShell-VST x.x.dll"
Aphex Vintage Exciter Stereo.dll created...
Aphex Vintage Exciter Mono.dll created...
API-2500 Stereo.dll created...
API-2500 Mono.dll created...
API-550A Mono.dll created...
API-550A Stereo.dll created...
API-550B Mono.dll created...
API-550B Stereo.dll created...
API-560 Mono.dll created...
API-560 Stereo.dll created...

You should see a status of vst files being extacted, as in the above example. The newly extracted files should be located in a new directory in the same location as your file, named Waves. You can, of course, move the new Waves directory to another location if you prefer.

Configure JamKazam To Use The New WAVES VST Files

Open Jamkazam and edit your audio settings. When editing your channel’s VST settings, add the new Waves directory just created as a directory to scan. Then, simply re-scan and your plugins should be available.

JamKazam crashed! What do I do?

JamKazam may crash loading some of the WAVES plugins. If this happens, then JamKazam is having a problem scanning one or more of the plugins you extracted. My recommendation is to go into the new Waves directory and remove all VST DLL files you know you won’t be using. This will make it easy to determine if the plugin you want to use is causing the problem or not.

Otherwise, you’ll have to remove DLL’s one-by-one until you find the files JamKazam won’t load.