• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't believe Jamkazam's audio interface latency values
Jamkazam's session diagnostics and stats always reports the same latency for my audio  interface: 79.8 milliseconds

It's 79.8 milliseconds when I'm using my laptops onboard realtek sound card
It's 79.8 milliseconds when I'm using an external USB interface
It's 79.78 milliseconds when I'm on wifi
It's 79.8 milliseconds when I'm plugged directly into my router

(yeah, I know, my internet connection has nothing to do with my computer audio, but I was too incredulous, just had to check)

meanwhile, the app "LatencyMon" reports my:

current measured interrupt to process latency = 786 MICROseconds
highest measured interrupt to process latency = 1756 MICROseconds
highest reported ISR routine execution time = 642 MICROseconds
Reported total hard pagefault count = 3435

what gives? Dodgy
(03-29-2020, 03:47 AM)jheartsill@gmail.com Wrote: Jamkazam's session diagnostics and stats always reports the same latency for my audio  interface: 79.8 milliseconds

(yeah, I know, my internet connection has nothing to do with my computer audio, but I was too incredulous, just had to check)

what gives? Dodgy

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you -- just piling on to commiserate with you....JamKazam says that my "gear has significant latency issues" (though at 10.3ms, it looks like I'm faring better than you....ouch!). I've got a fairly new Mac with pretty good specs, so I can't understand why I'd have any issues, better yet how to drop the latency (forums are no help). At first I thought it might be my interface (Alesis Multimix 16, FireWire), but I get the same latency numbers even if I completely disconnect it from the Mac. I'm just trying "solo", so internet latency shouldn't come into play. HELP!!
(03-29-2020, 03:47 AM)jheartsill@gmail.com Wrote: That's funny, I have the exact same result (PC running Windows 10).  Makes no sense that the same latency is quoted (79.8ms) regardless of my connection, be it WiFi or direct ethernet connection.  Any suggestions as to how to bring down the latency?
I don't know, and it's amazing to me how little discussion there is regarding latency on this forum, as I'd think that this would be the #1 issue that everyone faces. I'm not a tech wizard by any means, but I do know enough to recognize the general inhibiting factors, any or all of which can contribute to latency:

1) Latency in mixer/interface -- The time it takes for the mixer to convert an analog to digital signal and send it (FireWire/USB) to the computer; in theory, this should be minimal. You can certainly eliminate this by using the mic on your computer, but this obviously comes with a significant sacrifice in audio quality.
2) Latency in computer -- Dependent on both hardware and software; how quickly it's able to process the digital signal from the interface or internal mic.
3) Latency in internet connection -- This is probably the single biggest limiting factor due to the simple physics of sending a signal/data packet across physical distance. You might think that purchasing a higher speed internet connection would solve this, but "speed" is different than "latency"; someone recently gave me a great analogy that you might be able to go 180mph on the autobahn, but if the entrance or exit ramps are backed up, it will still delay your ultimate destination. Latency (or "ping rate") tells you how jammed up the ramps are. I'm not aware of any way to reduce internet latency, though I suspect that all of the increased general internet traffic during the pandemic is not helping things!

Keep in mind that all of the above latency points are ADDITIVE, and to multiply the problem, you're trying to sync with 2-3-4-5 other players who are 10-50-200-500 miles away dealing with the same delays. The fundamental question is, "How is ANYONE able to make this work with all of the above issues in play???". Anyone have a response/solution? Anyone? Bueller?
To some degree is think the topic of latency is overstated. It is what it is. And, for some of what JK is reporting from the app, I disregard. I have a zero latency audio interface (MOTU), and excellent ISP connectivity, etc. The law of physics apply, however. There are expected variables. The topic however will pick up momentum since more people are hopping into the forum.

For me, my focus has been about how to play in sync with the latency. I realize that sounds like a contradiction but I recently posted to the misc forum about latency, sync and using the Distributed Metronome. More to come as I experiment down this road.
(04-12-2020, 07:19 PM)Grateful Dead Jams Wrote: To some degree is think the topic of latency is overstated. It is what it is. And, for some of what JK is reporting from the app, I disregard. I have a zero latency audio interface (MOTU), and excellent ISP connectivity, etc. The law of physics apply, however. There are expected variables.  The topic however will pick up momentum since more people are hopping into the forum.

For me, my focus has been about how to play in sync with the latency. I realize that sounds like a contradiction but I recently posted to the misc forum about latency, sync and using the Distributed Metronome. More to come as I experiment down this road.
I think you are hitting the nail on the head here GDJ. I happened into a session with a singer from NYC that has been using JK for 5 years (since launch). He said the key to dealing with latency is for the drummer to play to a click track faithfully, and for everyone else to play to what they hear from the drummer. This is an excellent rehearsal tactic when in the same room, and essential on JK. The drummer will have the worst experience, but everyone else will do okay, and most importantly, will not hopelessly drift apart due to latency. I’m thinking that if we do this on JK, we will be incredibly tight when we finally get back together live and carry the technique over.
Exclamation ...Let's Abolish Latency... Exclamation
(03-29-2020, 03:47 AM)jheartsill@gmail.com Wrote: Jamkazam's session diagnostics and stats always reports the same latency for my audio  interface: 79.8 milliseconds

what gives? Dodgy

Your interface latency should not change no matter how you computer is connecting to the internet (Wifi an ethernet should be the same INTERFACE latency). I would however expect to see a difference between your onboard sound card and an external usb interface.  It would be very unlikely that they have the same exact latency, but possible.  Those numbers look very high to me, but some interfaces just have bad numbers due to design / coding.  Looks like you are probably on windows.  Unfortunately I don't know much about how Windows handles audio.  Good luck!