• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Yeti on Windows 10 laptop sound output issue
Wink 
Hi!

Trying to help a friend going with JK so they can jam with my band.

They have Yeti USB Mic on Windows 10. Adding a profile after scanning for devices finds the Yeti, but when selected JK complains that the Yeti for output is not available. 

Made sure that the system sound was not using Yeti for input nor output in case that was an issue. 

Had them test with Zoom.us app. In Zoom app settings for audio, can select Yet Stereo Mic for both Mic and for Speakers. When do that, with headphones plugged into the Yeti, can hear test sound out in headphones, and can do mic test and it records voice from the yeti and then plays back to headphones. So Yeti and headphones are working, as is the connection to the laptop.

Back to JK. Had them delete all the profiles except the "Default". Rescanned for external devices. Add new profile. Select Yeti for input. Immediately get same message that the Yeti output is not available or is missing or something like that. And if they try to select Yeti on the Output pop up menu, which it is there, when ithey do, they get the same message that not available.

Got any clues or tests to try?

Yeti firmware update? 

JK issue?

Thanks!

Peace,
Dan
It's a waste of time to try and use a "podcaster" style USB mic with JamKazam.

They need a proper audio interface with a headphone jack.

With my Yeti, same results - JK cannot use it as an output device. AFAIK the Yeti's headphone jack is only able to monitor the mic signal (the input).
(05-14-2021, 05:48 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: It's a waste of time to try and use a "podcaster" style USB mic with JamKazam.

They need a proper audio interface with a headphone jack.

With my Yeti, same results - JK cannot use it as an output device. AFAIK the Yeti's headphone jack is only able to monitor the mic signal (the input).
Hi Zlartibartfast,

Can you confirm that your problems are on Windows?

In case you are interested, it works with macOS just fine. In fact i have a sax in my band that uses it on macOS. Total latency to band member 200 miles away is 19 to 20ms. It has a headphone jack that JK app can select and play to. 

So it seems just Windows is presenting a problem with JK app, though Zoom app on windows works fine with it for both input and output.

Peace,
Dan

PS: Are you related to Slartibartfast of coastline design?
Hi Dan -

The only working Windows system I have is XP, which (I think) is not supported by JamKazam. I have a Mac running El Capitan and an old Yeti with the THX logo; that combination didn't work with JamKazam. Since I already had a Focusrite interface, and my primary instrument is keyboard, I decided not to use the Yeti for JK.

I believe that it could work for some people, but it's not the ideal setup.

Slartibartfast is very popular because his work is visible to just about everyone. I worked on under-sea geologic features that are virtually invisible and therefore never got much recognition. Fumaroles are perhaps an exception to that ;-}
(05-14-2021, 08:44 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Hi Dan -

The only working Windows system I have is XP, which (I think) is not supported by JamKazam. I have a Mac running El Capitan and an old Yeti with the THX logo; that combination didn't work with JamKazam. Since I already had a Focusrite interface, and my primary instrument is keyboard, I decided not to use the Yeti for JK.

I believe that it could work for some people, but it's not the ideal setup.

Slartibartfast is very popular because his work is visible to just about everyone. I worked on under-sea geologic features that are virtually invisible and therefore never got much recognition. Fumaroles are perhaps an exception to that ;-}
Hi!

Thanks for filling me in on the details of your troubles with Yeti and that it was on older macOS. El Capitan is no longer supported by Apple and as such, i'm guessing that JK engineers may not be supporting it as well and Yeti not behaving in that situation. 

I use a Scarlett 2i2 for my bass and mic for vocals on Catalina. Works great. But for a brass instrument, Yeti is simple alternative for on the cheap to see if you want to get into using JK. 

XP!?!? You keeping that for fun, or has the sulphuric vapors from the fumaroles gone to your head? 🤪 You get to drive the sub when you are down there? Must be way cool. Or you drop cameras over the edge of the boat to check out stuff? 

I have a support ticket into JK as i am on the gold plan -- one of the reasons was to get support. So far they say if Yeti works with macOS, which it does, it should work with Windows 10. So far basic uninstall/reinstall JK app, rescan, make new profile to see if can get to work on Windows 10. Then if that doesn't work, it's to Yeti support to ask about drivers, and maybe even firmware updates. That the Yeti works on Windows with Zoom app is a big clue... what it means is not clear yet.

Later!
Yes, El Capitan is obsolete, but it is supported by the JK client. I keep that system running in case I need a backup to my newer Big Sur system.

I have the XP system running Sony Sound Forge 7.0 which is(was) a great WAV editor that has no replacement in the modern world.

My Yeti (THX) is the oldest one of the series; it's "class compliant" meaning there are no OS drivers to load. I can't find any firmware binaries to download from Blue either, so it could be difficult to resolve your friends issue. However, I think it's great you're going to take a swing at it.

-> update <- yes there may be something to help you with this issue:
https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/products/sherpa/

All I can suggest from this point is to try an alternate Windows logon (administrator privileges) and a clean install of JK, as well as removal of every audio device except the Yeti (disable integrated audio in BIOS so it doesn't get re-installed automatically). I reckon you are familiar with the standard troubleshooting methods.

Still, your friend might want to look into a Focusrite like you have....
(05-14-2021, 11:12 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Yes, El Capitan is obsolete, but it is supported by the JK client. I keep that system running in case I need a backup to my newer Big Sur system.

I have the XP system running Sony Sound Forge 7.0 which is(was) a great WAV editor that has no replacement in the modern world.

My Yeti (THX) is the oldest one of the series; it's "class compliant" meaning there are no OS drivers to load. I can't find any firmware binaries to download from Blue either, so it could be difficult to resolve your friends issue. However, I think it's great you're going to take a swing at it.

-> update <- yes there may be something to help you with this issue:
https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/products/sherpa/

All I can suggest from this point is to try an alternate Windows logon (administrator privileges) and a clean install of JK, as well as removal of every audio device except the Yeti (disable integrated audio in BIOS so it doesn't get re-installed automatically). I reckon you are familiar with the standard troubleshooting methods.

Still, your friend might want to look into a Focusrite like you have....

We did find the Sherpa app -- thanks for digging around! Downloaded it on my mac with Catalina and app gives you know clue as to how to update firmware, nor check if firmware is latest. Friend on Win10 also downloaded and it apparently didn't do anything there as well.

My life is debugging tech for clients... one step at a time. My tech mantra is "It will yield to analysis." 

So this week there is a new JK app with so many changes that they want you to uninstall and then download and install new version... and reinstalling was already something for them to try. Haven't heard back from them yet. And trying a different admin login is always a good thing to try as well.

I'll report back once i hear anything. Focusrite and a good mic is totally an option.
Update on Blue Yeti mic on Windows. First in support request to JK, they said if it works with macOS then it should work with Windows. So we forged ahead.

Turns out my friend had not tried all the USB ports on their Windows laptop. One USB port worked. They could set up an audio profile.

BUT... if they try anything smaller than 10ms audio packet size, gets static sounds and not useable.

I just set up my Blue Yeti on macOS Catalina and get no static at 1ms audio packet size. And i am getting 7.7ms computer latency using "core audio". So all good.

Windows: the computer latency is 20ms using "WDM" for gear driver.

Any thoughts on WDM windows driver and 20ms? Or why static on Windows under 10ms audio packet size?
(06-08-2021, 05:06 PM)backinterrapin Wrote: Update on Blue Yeti mic on Windows. First in support request to JK, they said if it works with macOS then it should work with Windows. So we forged ahead.

Turns out my friend had not tried all the USB ports on their Windows laptop. One USB port worked. They could set up an audio profile.

BUT... if they try anything smaller than 10ms audio packet size, gets static sounds and not useable.

I just set up my Blue Yeti on macOS Catalina and get no static at 1ms audio packet size. And i am getting 7.7ms computer latency using "core audio". So all good.

Windows: the computer latency is 20ms using "WDM" for gear driver.

Any thoughts on WDM windows driver and 20ms? Or why static on Windows under 10ms audio packet size?
WDM is an old driver model that introduces a lot of latency - it is not kernel-mode like ASIO or Core Audio for Mac. Sounds like the Yeti on Windows is having buffer underrun which would explain the need for a large packet size. I have no experience with ASIO4ALL but I don't think it would hurt to try it.

https://www.asio4all.org