• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet Connection issue.
Good afternoon all.  I am having a problem with my ethernet connection.  Can anyone help please? When I select the ethernet connection from my Sky router it connects no problem but after 2 or 3 minutes the connection drops out.  I then have to run diagnostics and it comes up with the message “the default gateway is not available “ but then it says it is fixed.  Joy and bliss, except after another few minutes it goes again!  Anyone know what the problem might be and more importantly how I stop my PC from doing this? 🤷‍♂️😕😞😒
Windows?
Mac?
Laptop (make/model) or desktop (make/model)?
Details bout the Sky router? (I'm in the US; we don't have those here)

The message "“the default gateway is not available “ typically means that the internet gateway address for the client's IP address (the router) is not responding, or is disconnected.

I'm guessing that you are using DHCP (because most people do). A recommended setup for JK is to use a static IP address for the client PC and a specified range of UDP ports. This may not solve your problem, but it won't hurt to try.

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/s...our-router
(04-01-2021, 06:02 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Windows?
Mac?
Laptop (make/model) or desktop (make/model)?
Details bout the Sky router? (I'm in the US; we don't have those here)

The message "“the default gateway is not available “ typically means that the internet gateway address for the client's IP address (the router) is not responding, or is disconnected.

I'm guessing that you are using DHCP (because most people do). A recommended setup for JK is to use a static IP address for the client PC and a specified range of UDP ports. This may not solve your problem, but it won't hurt to try.

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/s...our-router
Thanks pal.  Sorry for lack of detail. It is a Windows Laptop PC made by Acer. I am thinking the Sky router is an irrelevance really.  The Ethernet channels work fine out of it so it is something going on in the PC.  Now a little further information.  When JamKazam is not operating the laptop works fine form the Ethernet.  However I open JK and plug in my Focusrite DI and open a session or join a session, after a couple of minutes, bang it disconnects from the Ethernet connection.  Now if WiFi is an option it goes back to WiFi but of course that gives awful latency.  So the features which seem to set this off are, Ethernet connection, Focusrite DI and opening/joining a session on JK.  Where that gets us, Heaven knows! 🤷‍♂️  Your advice on the settings might be onto something but I am not sure I am confident enough to try altering those manually! 😱
it is best to shut off wifi altogether. One reason for this is that your ethernet connector and your wifi radio each get their own IP addresses. If your connection "bounces" between wire and wireless, then you will lose your JK port assignments, which forces JK to reconnect.

By using a static IP address, pre-defined UDP ports, and keeping WIFI shut off, you will avoid that problem completely.