• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with finding open Jams to join
Hello Jammers,

I'm a noob JK'er who has no other friends on JK. Being a techno-nerd I was immediately interested in using JK as a way to connect with my former bandmates since we now live far apart. My problem is that no one else I know has the tech chops to get JK up and running so here I am by my lonesome and I'm not the type who would normally stroll into a jam session with other players I don't know.

I'm a rhythm guitar player and vocalist...mostly dead tunes & covers. My wife plays keyboards/percussion/vocals and is more shy about jamming with strangers then I am.

I've skimmed the forums and see tons of good help for the technical side of JK setup but I haven't yet found any guidance on finding and joining jam sessions with people I don't know. Have I missed some online instructions somewhere?  Can anyone walk me through it? What is the best way to search for and join live sessions with people I don't know...and what is the etiquette for these type of sessions?  
Huh

Thanks,

Mark 
in Eugene

"What do you want me to do,
To do for you to see you through?

- Box of Rain
mportmanHello Jammers,

I'm a noob JK'er who has no other friends on JK. Being a techno-nerd I was immediately interested in using JK as a way to connect with my former bandmates since we now live far apart. My problem is that no one else I know has the tech chops to get JK up and running so here I am by my lonesome and I'm not the type who would normally stroll into a jam session with other players I don't know.

I'm a rhythm guitar player and vocalist...mostly dead tunes & covers. My wife plays keyboards/percussion/vocals and is more shy about jamming with strangers then I am.

I've skimmed the forums and see tons of good help for the technical side of JK setup but I haven't yet found any guidance on finding and joining jam sessions with people I don't know. Have I missed some online instructions somewhere?  Can anyone walk me through it? What is the best way to search for and join live sessions with people I don't know...and what is the etiquette for these type of sessions?  
Huh

Thanks,

Mark 
in Eugene

"What do you want me to do,
To do for you to see you through?

- Box of Rain

There used to be a feature called "The Feed" (it's still there, but it's not working like it used to) where you could actually hear what was going on in an open session. I tried using it this morning, but the only part that was working was the ability to hear public recordings.

Some folks will provide an accurate description of their session, giving other musicians a chance to determine suitability, but not everyone does that.

Sometimes I will look for a session with 4 or fewer players that are on my side of the planet, and jump in to "see" what's going on. Occasionally I find a good session; other times it's quickly apparent that I'm in the wrong session.

Most folks will be OK with others joining an open session. If they are not OK with it, then they should be creating private sessions instead.