• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gettiing Started Document for Noobs
Gang,
I'm with The Black Rose Acoustic Society in Colorado, and we've been jamming online with JamKazam for quite a while now. To help members of our little music community get started with JK, I put together the attached PDF document. It's got introductory info about computer audio in general along with step-by-step instructions for selecting and setting up audio gear in JK. Hopefully it'll help someone out there to get going. 

Disclaimer: The document uses screenshots and procedures from a JK version of late 2020, and those could of course change, as can just about anything about the program. So, use it not as gospel, but as a general guide, as things evolve over time. 

The latest version of this document is available for download on our website at www.blackroseacoustic.org in the Jams area.

Happy jamming from all of us at TBRAS

.pdf   GettingStartedWithJamKazam-v7.0.pdf (Size: 1.6 MB / Downloads: 24)
(03-09-2021, 08:04 AM)jamboy Wrote: Gang,
I'm with The Black Rose Acoustic Society in Colorado, and we've been jamming online with JamKazam for quite a while now. To help members of our little music community get started with JK, I put together the attached PDF document. It's got introductory info about computer audio in general along with step-by-step instructions for selecting and setting up audio gear in JK. Hopefully it'll help someone out there to get going. 

Disclaimer: The document uses screenshots and procedures from a JK version of late 2020, and those could of course change, as can just about anything about the program. So, use it not as gospel, but as a general guide, as things evolve over time. 

The latest version of this document is available for download on our website at www.blackroseacoustic.org in the Jams area.

Very nice document. I'd recommend you add details about home router buffer bloat and PC real-time audio tuning. You'll find links to this information here in the forum.
(03-11-2021, 01:31 PM)StuartR Wrote:

Very nice document. I'd recommend you add details about home router buffer bloat and PC real-time audio tuning. You'll find links to this information here in the forum.
-------------------------------

Thanks for the suggestions, Stuart. Low-level performance tuning is probably beyond the mission of this document, though.  The target audience for us is new, non-techie JK users who just want to get jamming without a lot of gear drama. With default settings in both macOS and Windows, decent interfaces, and most players here located within 20 miles and on cable broadband with speeds >10Mbps, we're consistently seeing latencies in the 20s and almost no perceived issues on the acoustic types of music we play. We also keep the group size down to 6 or so max, and that helps on the processor-loading side of things. We don't do long-distance jamming or deal with large groups, so we're probably a corner case in the JK universe.

I'll look at this a little closer, though. I'm not quite sure just how far to take low-level tuning in this getting-started document. 
(03-16-2021, 07:18 PM)jamboy Wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, Stuart. Low-level performance tuning is probably beyond the mission of this document, though.  The target audience for us is new, non-techie JK users who just want to get jamming without a lot of gear drama. With default settings in both macOS and Windows, decent interfaces, and most players here located within 20 miles and on cable broadband with speeds >10Mbps, we're consistently seeing latencies in the 20s and almost no perceived issues on the acoustic types of music we play. We also keep the group size down to 6 or so max, and that helps on the processor-loading side of things. We don't do long-distance jamming or deal with large groups, so we're probably a corner case in the JK universe.

I'll look at this a little closer, though. I'm not quite sure just how far to take low-level tuning in this getting-started document. 
Wow... Latencies in the 20s? Our group is all within 12 miles of each other, but on several different ISPs and we can't get less than 35-40 msecs. This killed the ability to use our drummer, which in turn killed the use of JK for us.
(03-17-2021, 11:09 AM)StuartR Wrote:

Wow... Latencies in the 20s? Our group is all within 12 miles of each other, but on several different ISPs and we can't get less than 35-40 msecs. This killed the ability to use our drummer, which in turn killed the use of JK for us.

(03-17-2021, 11:09 AM)StuartR Wrote:

I'm guessing it's due to a couple things. I'll check next time I'm in a session, but I believe we're all on our local cable system for broadband. Being in the same subnets has to help. Also, I've been involved with most of our players' setups, and I know they all have low-latency interfaces. None I know of is above around 10ms latency. I watch the numbers in our sessions, and I pester folks with higher numbers with suggestions to get them down. We've sort of "tuned" ourselves together that way. We're mid-to-late 20s, but we're consistently 20s nonethless.
I would imagine things would look a lot different, if any of us was on DSL or satellite service. Maybe that's what you're enduring.

Thanks for document .