• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set buffer size on mac?
(04-23-2020, 11:27 PM)mabalot Wrote: Mac users can change there frame size in JK. Go to Manage (at the top left corner in the app) - Audio Setting - Audio Booster then change your frame size to 1ms experimental.
Thanks mabalot for Audio Booster setting reminder: 
 - note you have to be in a session, not just in the JamK app, to enable features of Audio Booster

I decreased frame size from 2.5 ms to 2 ms, which lowered my latency from 10.3 to 9.3... now all green, at least at rest.
A lower frame size of 1 ms reduced my latency further to 7.3 ms; though at 1ms frame rate, audio quality may have suffered a bit.

In my experience the Mac Core Audio Driver does not provide a way of changing Buffer size, as you can with Windows / ASIO driver.
However, my JamK system as below sounds great, especially jamming with others on the West Coast.

Running Mojave, 10.14 on a 2012 MBPro, thru an older Edirol UA-700 USB interface, Core Audio Driver.
(-just an fyi, recently changed to a Samung Evo SSD; computer runs faster, though did not change JamKazam USB processing speed)
(04-23-2020, 11:27 PM)mabalot Wrote: Mac users can change there frame size in JK. Go to Manage (at the top left corner in the app) - Audio Setting - Audio Booster then change your frame size to 1ms experimental.

Thanks. I tried this and my latency dropped from 11ms to 7ms, with the dot turning from yellow to green. Does this impact anything else though? There often is a compromise with these things and I haven't had chance to test it properly yet.
You are rtight that there is a compromise, but I think you have to find it by trial and error. First of all try a solo session with the new settings and see if you can hear any crackles and glitches, then set up a session with someone else and try it again. If you get audible crackles and glitches, or if your jitter measurements keep going into the red, then you will need to raise the frame size.